floating planter rings

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i added a 3rd ring today the two were over packed and growing outside the rings. in what..a week? they do so well when the fish cant eat them.

Reaction score
Love the idea, while I'm here can anyone suggest suitable plants for the planter rings that are winter hardy. Where i live the hyacinths can´t survive the winter so I would love to give my fish the extra cover that your planters provide when the Lillie's die back.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
You wouldn't be able to put a lotus or water lilly in in a floating net like this because lotus and lillies are grow in soil or gravel on the bottom.

This floating ring would be for containment of hyacinths, water lettuce, and whatever else floats that you want to control it's location in the pond.

I will be making one for hyacinths and anchoring it to one end of the pond at the edge for the frogs to hide in.

KoiGuy, thanks for the great idea and sharing it.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
ctrgojo,

The floating hoop with a net would be for floating plants that you would want to control or keep in a certain part of your pond.

I will be putting hyacinths in a planter ring in the spring for my frogs. My cascadia frogs like to hide in and under the hyainths.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
And if you did,did you se the price tags? I looked at those when i first built my original pond... Wouldnt be all that hard to build one. as far as the bio or veggy filtration. my simple rings will suffice, a larger diameter tubing and clean the soil from roots well and mine will accept bare root marginals also,along with the floating plants

lawnman777

Outside Pride
Reaction score
I found this online so thought I'd share:

"For floating plants the best options would be spatterdock (Nuphar advena)(actually kind of emergent since the leaves don't float on the water's surface), white water lily (Nymphaea odorata), and watershield (Brasenia schreberi). Spatterdock and water lily can sometimes densely ring a pond although spatterdock has the greater tendency. Watershield is a cute little plant, but you generally only see it in the SE part of the state, I also don't think it is much used in trade. Most of the water lilies for sale are non-native species. Most of the spatterdock for sale is probably Nuphar lutea, a Eurasian species."

OutsidePride.com

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome lawnman, please go th the UserCP at the top of this page and add your location so we can better help you.

I made my floating island out of PVC around a planter flat and I have hyssop in it. it has served me well for over 2 years now.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi,

Not trying to change gears here, but I got an idea from another ponder. I picked up a grapevine wreath approx. 24" in diameter from one of the local craft stores, I rinsed it quite well with a garden hose and water. Then placed it in the pond to see how well it would float. In it's own way it looks real natural, beaver damn kind of look. It floats, but not quite like I thought it would. So I wedged three small pieces of stireo(sp) foam in on the underside evenly spaced to assist the floatation. It looks and works great. I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet.

Not a bad deal for the price and minumal amount of effort involved to make it work.

Happy ponding,:biggrin:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
pebcpa,

I am pleased with the simplicity of it. This type of floating ring will be a good way to control the frogbit and or water hyacinth, and look almost natural in a pond.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats clever in its own right, oldmarine. it will help keep plants contained, but will it protect the roots from your fish? thats not a concern for you because you dont have koi...but for those of us who do own koi, we know the way they will destroy the roots hence the plant,,(for hiacynths and lettuce) the pvc look is but a very short term thing... with the roots untouched these plants explode in growth and the rings disappear in no time.with shoots growing well past the rings. and theyre black and not very noticable to begin with.
post some pix..

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My Koi never seem to destroy the roots of my plants. if they are eating on them, it is not enough to bother the plants. Then again, my ponds are more than 75% covered, so there is a lot to feast on.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
this is what they looked like in a short time. in less than a month i had to make another ring, and was throwing them away by the baby pool full by end of summer

Attachments

• SANY0856.JPG
    SANY0856.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 860

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have mostly water lettuce but this past summer I introduced hyacinth again and it took over my upper pond. I had so many of each, I was filling trash cans every Sunday after the weekend buyers stopped comming. It has been a great way to offset the cost of the water, electricity, food and maintenance on hardware.

Having that many plants and my Doc Bio Filter sure helps keep the algae problems to a minimum.

The down side to all the plants is; I don't get to see my Koi very often.

Ask a Question