Floating plants die

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I can not get Water Lettuce or Hyacinth to grow in my pond. I have even tried to place them in the deep sections of the bog and corners of the stream where they can stay put and keep the fish off them. They all just wither up and disappear slowly in pieces.Really want more surface plants to cut down the string algae.
I am thinking the water and climate might be to cold for them. This year the weather just does not want to warm up, night temps can be as low as 2c to 13c.

Just curious how shallow of water can a Lilly grow in?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, that is chilly (around 45 F)! Our daytime temps are already pushing the 90’s with heat index over 100.

As far as depth for water lilies, I don’t really know, but when I’ve looked around, it seems to vary by individual plant. Mine seem to do better when closer to the surface, around 18” to 2’.

Water lettuce and hyacinth are a mystery to me as well. W.lettuce never seems to do well. When I still had the old pond, I also kept a 300 gallon stock tank going as a QT. The tank got way less sunlight than the pond did. The W.hyacinth in the stock tank were always gorgeous, plump, and green, but the ones in the pond were just...there. IDK if it’s a climate thing, a location thing, or what.

@sissy (I think) recommends removing them temporarily to a tub and add plant fertilizer to give them a boost.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can grow floaters in my patio pond and pondless waterfall, but they don't do well in my pond. Once I get a good crop going, I cycle them through my pond, but I have to move them out after a week or two. No clue why - I've always guessed it was the excessive "trimming" by my fish.

@Ronfire - in your case I'm going to guess too cold. They do start to thrive when both day and night temps stay high.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I can not get Water Lettuce or Hyacinth to grow in my pond. I have even tried to place them in the deep sections of the bog and corners of the stream where they can stay put and keep the fish off them. They all just wither up and disappear slowly in pieces.Really want more surface plants to cut down the string algae.
I am thinking the water and climate might be to cold for them. This year the weather just does not want to warm up, night temps can be as low as 2c to 13c.

Just curious how shallow of water can a Lilly grow in?
I have numerous lilies in stock tanks with just a few inches of water over the soil. All doing good and blooming. The cool temps are what is getting your floating plants. They are tropical and won't do well below 60f.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
That is what I was thinking, to cold. Most nights here don't get over 60f until August.those temps of 90-100 are tooooo hot for my liking but I do wish I could grow your plants here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At 55 hyacinth and lettuce don't grow they just are

Ask a Question