Forsythia Beside Waterfall Stream?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't find anything online, so does anyone know whether or not a forsythia bush, more importantly, its root system, would be safe to plant beside a pondless waterfall stream?

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine spreads by roots. It does not appear to have roots that can get through a liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Forsythia can get a bit out of hand, which in some spots is what you want if you were going for a privacy hedge for example. I am not a big fan of perfectly trimmed forsythia, does not look natural to me (no offense to any one that does that). To me Forsythia are nice for that early spring color but the flowers do not last that long and then the bush is kind of boring. My bias could just be that you see it everywhere so it is overdone. Azaleas might look nice on your hillside especially paired with the japanese maple you are planning on planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Forsythia can get a bit out of hand, which in some spots is what you want if you were going for a privacy hedge for example. I am not a big fan of perfectly trimmed forsythia, does not look natural to me (no offense to any one that does that). To me Forsythia are nice for that early spring color but the flowers do not last that long and then the bush is kind of boring. My bias could just be that you see it everywhere so it is overdone. Azaleas might look nice on your hillside especially paired with the japanese maple you are planning on planting.
I wasn't that familiar with it when I purchased it. It had a branch that pokes out on one side, so I planted it so that would eventually overhang where a fall is cascading, which currently looks nice. It wasn't until after I planted it that I thought about the roots being invasive to liner or not.

Ask a Question