Forum Software Thoughts

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I know that a few members here are also members on www.gardening-forums.com - so this question is perhaps directed at people who have used that site (or software) before. We've currently using software by Invision, but the gardening forums uses software by XenForo.

I'd be interested to know which software you prefer overall? In time, we'll need to upgrade the forum software on here again, so I'd be interested to know which path to take now that there are more choices? I should add that the next version of the current software isn't due for over a year, so it's not anytime soon :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Xenforo is the forum software that I prefer, partly as it's so much easier from an admin perspective. Although it doesn't have a gallery addon (yet) that is as good as the one here, which is a major drawback.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I prefer this site, but that's probably because I've been using it for over a year, and have finally figured out how to use it!
John

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's a new update to XenForo coming within the next few weeks, so I had a little play around and did a test upgrade of these forums (along with a new design). It allows drag+drop image upload and lots of other things, so it should be an improvement in ease of use (and the moderator tools are hugely improved).

Here's a test screenshot of the upgrade with the updated design:

gpf.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like both and seems they both work the same in posting pics but since you upgraded the pics on here do upload faster from my puter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, I like drag and drop loading

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
adavisus said:
...and have little enthusiasm for struggling with bloated upgrades
That's one of the things I like about the new software, it's much more compact, cleaner and simpler. When we first switched to the current forum software, it offered everything but it is getting increasingly bloated with each new version - so it seems like a good time to jump to another one (no data is lost) that has the right stuff without the bloat.

Ask a Question