New to forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all

Wanted to introduce myself. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My name is Chris. My last house I had a 500g, with normal filters Moved and decided to go big. So, I built an above ground - 2200g koi pond, with a bog filtration system. Took me about 2 months to complete. This has a 4"drain with 10" air rater. This is connected to a sub tank and returned to the bog. It also has an eight inch skimmer that returns to the bog and pond. The pumping is about 8kgh. The bog was started with clippings off ebay, and is going wild with the steady weather. I hope to do some trades, or just give aways. I added river rock to the bottom and lighting as well. I am very happy with this, and the fish are growing like crazy I'm a butterfly freak. When pond was ready, I added 25 fry, they love it
Message_1523743666935.jpg

Attachments

• 20180414_192630_HDR_Film1.jpg
    20180414_192630_HDR_Film1.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @chris quinn and your pond is really amazing! Where abouts are you located in DFW? I'm up in Lake Dallas just south of Denton. If I had room I would love a 2000+ gallon pond like that but I'll have to settle with my 450+ gallon one and my "maybe" 1000+ gallon future pond that I'm dreaming up at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @chris quinn and your pond is really amazing! Where abouts are you located in DFW? I'm up in Lake Dallas just south of Denton. If I had room I would love a 2000+ gallon pond like that but I'll have to settle with my 450+ gallon one and my "maybe" 1000+ gallon future pond that I'm dreaming up at the moment.

Thank you

I in Hurst .. Funny you say about fitting The last house for twenty years was a huge yard.. Started with a 125g home depot insert. This yard was picked because it's tiny....made a frame size of pond and moved it around for a week to decide. The corner was the best. I bet we can fit a 4kG in your yard .. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say I don't have room for one because I do, but the wife won't allow me to use up half of the back yard for a ginormous pond so I'll have to stick with my modestly sized above ground ponds for now. In all honesty, if I could I would dig a HUGE pond right next to my patio but the current plan is to extend the patio out for more entertaining space and possibly build a pond at the end opposite of my current pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks great and welcome
Do the bog planters utilize upflow filtration?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks great and welcome
Do the bog planters utilize upflow filtration?
Yes duel pvc return. 12'x2"caped, drilled some on bottom, with majority on top, the other is 1.5"x12' same drill method. They are laying on layer of river rock, media, topped with small river rock. Works good, plants are going nuts , I'll post update

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes duel pvc return. 12'x2"caped, filled some on bottom, with majority on top, the other is 1.5"x12' same drill method. They are laying on layer of river rock, media, topped with small river rock. Works good, plants are going nuts , I'll post update

Attachments

• 1525823252215798938589.jpg
    1525823252215798938589.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Country
United States
:wideyed::notworthy:wowzers! Very nice...I'd be a super happy fish to live in a pond like yours! :happy: It reminds me of the above ground garden beds that I had built in the yard of my last residence. I was very proud of them...as u should be about your pond. It's beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
looks great, is that your only means of filtration? Monitor your water quality with the fish load through out the year. My bog is about 10 times larger in volume and 4 times in surface area for about the same pond size. I went with the recommendations here to make my bog about 1/3 the surface area of my pond. I'm actually in the process of adding a second bog as the original design, could handle the weight of the 5 yards of pea gravel. Your's looks so much better than mine at the moment, since it's in excavation mode again.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@chris quinn Hello and welcome! Your pond and your bog set up look very nice! I love the way you have constructed and married the bog to the pond.

But on a cautionary note, as @qclabrat mentioned, be sure to closely monitor your water parameters — especially if this bog is your only filtration. With 25 fry in a 2200 gallon pond.......wow, those little guys are going to grow so fast and before you know it....... I would get a water test kit (Most of is use API Master) and start doing that TODAY! Monitor the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH (KH will require a separate kit as it doesn’t come included with most all-in-one kits).

Ask a Question