Must Be Wintertime. Forum Has Slowed Down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It must be wintertime again. The number of posts has slowed down again.

We don't have much of a winter here. The low was 65* today. It supposed to be up to 91*f by Friday. Our plants don't go dormant here. Our water lilies just grow and grow. They bloom all year.

I planted a tropical lily this year. It has 3 blooms on it now as we speak. Here is a picture of it. I was told it should bloom all winter here.

Dauben.JPG

I hope everybody enjoys the cooler weather. Just wish we would get some.. lol

Phil

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not winter here been from mid 70's up to high 80's but lots of yard work to do this time of year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey PD very pretty lily! I don't like the forum to slow down either, but honestly I think this year has been much busier than past years and a lot of good people joined. I don't know if Ian can share those statistics but it would be interesting to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I wish I had started my pond rebuild two months earlier because I frankly would have liked having more time to enjoy it before winter. Here in Utah my water temps have been hovering around 60 degrees give or take but will soon drop below that and stay low until late spring. I know several people who have already shut down their waterfalls and put their winter covers on!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We may or may not have a "winter" we cool, warm, freeze, warm, cool. I would prefer cold and stay cold. Hard on the plants, trees. We have had early budding that then freezes. But now MD is way hotter than when I was raised here. A cold winter is a hit and miss.

Love tropical lilies, not worth it to mess with them here. Yours sure is pretty!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It must be wintertime again. The number of posts has slowed down again.

We don't have much of a winter here.
Well, it is up to you to keep the forum going this winter since you will be able to show us pictures of a pond with nicely growing plants and fish instead of an ice covered hole. :)

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
With it being in the 80's here, its hard to imagine that winter is just around the corner. We don't get much of a winter but I am hoping for one good snowfall. Sort of like hoping to see a unicorn LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
80s, 90s??? It makes me roast just thinking about it. I love fall and the cooler weather. However, it didn't have to go so extreme so suddenly. A couple weeks ago we were in the upper 80s, now the days are hitting 50 and this morning, it's 18 outside and still dropping. There'll be some ice on the pond this morning and the waterfall should look really neat!

I'm hoping to do some more native plant transplants before the ground freezes solid and this year, I'll be better prepared for snow. I'm putting in 5' stakes around the edge of my pond so that when I use the snowblower, I don't add to the pile on the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
This will be our 5th winter here in central Oregon. 1st year=12" snow, 2nd=4", 3rd=22" and 4th=32". Years ago, we lived in far eastern Oregon and got 5' on the ground, that was challenging! With the snow sliding off the metal roof, we ended up with an 8' long tunnel out the back door.

If I need 8' stakes, I won't be shoveling or snow blowing anywhere near the pond, there wouldn't be anyplace to put the snow! The closest I'd get would be the sauna/greenhouse door. Last year was challenging enough!

77_8544 snow sauna.jpg

The pond is just beyond the sauna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's nice to hear all of the different stories around the country about your weather and how the ponds are doing.

Heck I'm going to have to build another small pond just to house my new water lily babies. lol They keep producing.

Here is a pic of the flower on one of my Hardy lilies.

20170422_130312.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This will be our 5th winter here in central Oregon. 1st year=12" snow, 2nd=4", 3rd=22" and 4th=32". Years ago, we lived in far eastern Oregon and got 5' on the ground, that was challenging! With the snow sliding off the metal roof, we ended up with an 8' long tunnel out the back door.

If I need 8' stakes, I won't be shoveling or snow blowing anywhere near the pond, there wouldn't be anyplace to put the snow! The closest I'd get would be the sauna/greenhouse door. Last year was challenging enough!

View attachment 105156

The pond is just beyond the sauna.

Where's the house?? lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Warm and cold can be also hard on the fish .If they spawn and can't release the eggs it could kill off fish .

Ask a Question