sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh our frogs were so noisy that you had to talk loader outside .i even had a neighbor mention something about all the frog noise .They got caught and taken to farm ponds .I even scooped up a lot of taddies .Farmers are glad to have them because they control mosquito's

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
yeh our frogs were so noisy that you had to talk loader outside .i even had a neighbor mention something about all the frog noise .They got caught and taken to farm ponds .I even scooped up a lot of taddies .Farmers are glad to have them because they control mosquito's
Ha, I was worried the neighbors would complain also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine said something but I am in farm country and there is 2 creeks that run across the road also .So I blamed it on the creek being fuller than ever .We have had no rain but the guy down the road opened up the natural spring with his digger a couple of months ago and since then the creek has not dried up which it usually does this time of the year

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None of my neighbors complain, frogs make noise all around us.

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
None of my neighbors complain, frogs make noise all around us.
We have a drainage ditch a few hundred yards from the house they create a symphony for a few weeks a year. This guy decided to be a loner and that's why he had to call so loud for a mate;).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny thing is addy first year or so i was here I really don't remember hearing many frogs as years went by i heard more and more of them .I think neighbors blamed me for bringing them from Nj .There were only 5 houses on the whole street when I moved here and the road is over a mile long with side roads and they are all dead ends and had no houses on them . .One way in one way out of here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I finally saw him during the day and was able to catch him. To me, he looks like a bullfrog. To the local lake he goes in a few.

Bullfrogs are considered invasive species in North America by the United States Department of Agriculture. Because they eat so many things including other frogs they have contributed to the demise of other smaller frogs and other small creatures. You should not relocate a bullfrog to another body of water. All it takes is one male and one female and you can have 20,000 eggs. Smaller native species can not compete with the non native bullfrogs and ecosystems are being destroyed by the bullfrogs. There are endless artcles on the internet about the damage bullfrogs are causing including disease in western United States. There is also a movement to try to get pet stores from selling bullfrog tadpoles.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0928_040928_bullfrog.html

peter hillman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Bullfrogs are considered invasive species in North America by the United States Department of Agriculture. Because they eat so many things including other frogs they have contributed to the demise of other smaller frogs and other small creatures. You should not relocate a bullfrog to another body of water. All it takes is one male and one female and you can have 20,000 eggs. Smaller native species can not compete with the non native bullfrogs and ecosystems are being destroyed by the bullfrogs. There are endless artcles on the internet about the damage bullfrogs are causing including disease in western United States. There is also a movement to try to get pet stores from selling bullfrog tadpoles.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0928_040928_bullfrog.html
A bullfrog can wreck a small pond in no time. guess were your fish went.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
East of the Rockies, according to the article. We've always had bullfrogs and still have gazillions of smaller frogs of all kinds.

That's true but I was thinking that is it's good to mention they are invasive so people don't get the wrong idea about them being a cute addition to their pond wherever they are. Also it's a bad policy to release anything from a private pond into a natural body of water due to possible disease and lack of resistance the native species may have to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
That's true but I was thinking that is it's good to mention they are invasive so people don't get the wrong idea about them being a cute addition to their pond wherever they are. Also it's a bad policy to release anything from a private pond into a natural body of water due to possible disease and lack of resistance the native species may have to it.
I'm totally in agreement with @CometKeith its very bad policy to release anything from a private pond into a natural body of water.
Not only that you may fall foul of any laws put in place to prevent this and end up with either a fine or a suspended sentance .
Here in the UK we are blighted with releases of creatures into the wild each foriegn species has had a devastating effect on our enviroment first it was the grey sqiural then the RES , snapping turtles , mitten crabs from China wrecking our river banks, then we got American Cray fish, Termites, the list is endless Of foreign species making it to our tiny Island from different parts of the globe either by ship or through the pet trade or crazes through films etc

Dave

Ask a Question