Frost heaves moving my ledge and causing a leak!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I live on the Connecticut coast and, boy, has it been cold here! I have a 10 year old cement pond (sealed with Liquid Rubber and PermaFlex). Every winter when it gets below 5 degrees or so I have a leaking problem. Not a big deal; it usually only lasts a couple of days, but this year - WOW! I went out Wednesday (before the blizzard) and only the very deepest 8 inches or so were liquid! Everything else was either gone, or frozen solid. The outside tap was frozen, of course, so I had to run a garden hose out my bathroom window to top the water back up. I've been monitoring it very closely since then and it seems to lose the first 6 inches in just a couple of hours. After that it slowly leaks (until I panic and top it up again!).

My soil is dense clay and I'm fairly sure there is an unsealed spot between the small, middle rock on the waterfall side that I can't reach. Since I have no leaking problem when the weather is non-arctic I can only assume that the frost heaves that stone up just enough to cause the problem. So what can I do about it? Anything? I'll be grateful for any and all suggestions.

The bottom of the pond is a single slab of granite so the depth goes from nothing (on the left by the rock) to 30" or so (on the right by the chairs).

The pond in warmer times - this past summer:
Thanks,
Wendy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
?? confused when you mentioned snow it CT in June
What size is your pond? You may want to consider draining a using a liner if you don't get it repaired by a qualified mason.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
can be he is trying to fix what happened over the winter .Are you running a pump or are you running a pond heater .If the clay gets hard it will hold water even more between the concrete and clay .I think cement ponds are evidently not such a great idea in really cold climates with clay soil

Ask a Question