Funding GardenPondForums.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm OK with whatever is decided. A few ads here and there are not that bad as long as they aren't too obtrusive. Some forums I go on have them and after a while you just ignore them.

A boating forum I belong to funds itself by selling boat related merchandise. I don't know if that's feasible, but I just thought I'd mention that.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like the idea of voluntary amount to contribute opposed to a premium amount across the board believing a few will give a lot and many will give a little. I am used to ads on other forums and ignore them. Happy to visit as a guest and click away if it helps. I do not like forums that have exclusive premium membership subs which non premium members cannot access. If what is given isn’t enough than maybe giving X amount will block ads but otherwise no one knows who gave and who didn’t and we all have access to the same content. Maybe a benefactor level of gift and if those that gave that amount want to be recognized they could be benefactors or something like that

feedback on this forum. Best Forum evah! Love the software and layout, way better than the other software a lot of other forums use.
Most friendly and helpful membership of any forum, most tolerant of others even when some go off on tangents.

cheers and thanks!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
you could also see what it takes to do amazon affiliate links, some can go up to 50c per person who follows the link, and even more if they buy, or you could do sponsers, for example with a site like webbs online, they might give you x amount of money and a 20% off code for a shout out on a side bar, and then you could do a forum post every now and then shouting them out and linking to the site with there discount code :) just some ideas from generation x.

nano reefs does lots of sponsership things, and when visiting there site I have even seen sponsored giveaways, so deffinitly a simple option would be optional donation, but there are also many many more ways :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I block all ads: I hate them, but would support the forum if it had a donate button that allowed me to put in like $5 when I have it to spare. Some places do the donate option but have a $20-$25 minimum and that prevents me from supporting them. It needs to be possible to do it on a whim, with disposable income, so my suggestion is to allow donors to donate any amount, no minimum. If I could click to donate $2-3 when I had it (preferably via PayPal), I'd do it, but rationalizing dropping $20 in a lump sum makes me ask myself "do I really NEED this?" and then I don't. Make it easy, make it cheap: people will do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree there, I can do $5 here, $4 there, on good months, but $20 usually makes me back off cause that’s a tank of gas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How about you do a volunteer donation plan for one year? If that doesn't bring in enough needed revenue, you can change it to another plan. I don't mind at all sending some money to help support this wonderful place!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can count on my support as well @Ian
smalzaciglia.gif

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Well, I'll be the first to support ads, and I elaborate, but first lots of appreciation and respect for Ian for running
such a great forum , and since you've done so good its time to capitalise on our thousand/s strong community
and at least try to make it better for all of us , specially for Ian. So yes, i would like to see gardening tools, kubota
tractors webb's offers ads and yes I dont mind selling my lilies on this site. We are big spenders , putting all that
money into our hobbies, why not be better informed shoppers and support our forum on the way?
Any volunteers to start the marketing campaign?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Well, I'll be the first to support ads, and I elaborate, but first lots of appreciation and respect for Ian for running
such a great forum , and since you've done so good its time to capitalise on our thousand/s strong community
and at least try to make it better for all of us , specially for Ian. So yes, i would like to see gardening tools, kubota
tractors webb's offers ads and yes I dont mind selling my lilies on this site. We are big spenders , putting all that
money into our hobbies, why not be better informed shoppers and support our forum on the way?
Any volunteers to start the marketing campaign?
Honestly I do have to agree that I enjoy adds on these kinds of things, and would definitely support your idea :)

I honestly probably spend 90% of my income on pond related things, that being said, I still probably spend less than the average ponder...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for your comments on this thread last year. I've just performed another upgrade to the forum software (you may have noticed some oddities an hour ago, as I struggled with some of the code that had to be re-written!), and I've added a donation option so that we can keep the site ad-free for members. I've set the target at $150 for now, as that's half of the server costs - that may be wildly optimistic or an understatement, but it seemed like a sensible initial target to try for funding the site. If we exceed fundraising for the year, it'll mean we can add new features and grow the site.

The link is on the top menu and there's a progress bar on the main page, or you can access it here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/donate/

There's no obligation to donate and you can even donate anonymously if you wish. Anyone donating get's a donor badge under their username for the month as a thank you :).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I must be a bit slow......................I thought it was a 150 per member, just 150 for the month with a bit of a donation from all. That should be easy to reach.

Ask a Question