Garden Pond Build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
hello everyone,

we ended up scraping the pond idea. We have since moved to GA and are back on the pond train.

I am thinking using the fill from digging the pond, to create the bog which will drain into the pond. Next to the bog I am envisioning a waterfall which gets it water from a skimmer, on the opposite side of the pond.

I want to do an external pump for easy maintenance, does it make to get a combo package like this? . This pump would feed the water fall and the bog.

Fish would be goldfish still, shubunkins for me and a different sort for my wife.

There are lots of natural rock here, unlike FL. I am excited to use only natural rock in this build.

Let me know your thoughts!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome back! You’ve been bouncing around for a few years — hopefully, this time it’s the real deal. Sorry, no advice about pumps, especially not external pumps. Sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I hope so too! I've been wanting to build one for a while. Just has to line up, it's not exactly a priority

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I hope so too! I've been wanting to build one for a while. Just has to line up, it's not exactly a priority

I'd just be careful with the math since that's a 3300 maximum GPH pump if your plan is still a two-tiered pond with first level around 12-15", second level around 24-30" at 500-600 gallons with both a waterfall and a bog. You didn't say if that's each and you didn't give us diameters, but it's easy to underbuy on pumps in general and hard to overbuy when you have a waterfall as, generally speaking, the more GPH you have, the better they look. You could end up needing a whole separate pump just to run the waterfall with any gusto what-so-ever. Just be sure you calculate carefully and consider any lift in carefully. For example, with just 4 feet of lift, that pump only moves 3180GPH. You're probably going to have 4' of lift when you have just a waterfall alone, much less a bog, a two tiered pond and a waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hello everyone,

we ended up scraping the pond idea. We have since moved to GA and are back on the pond train.

I am thinking using the fill from digging the pond, to create the bog which will drain into the pond. Next to the bog I am envisioning a waterfall which gets it water from a skimmer, on the opposite side of the pond.

I want to do an external pump for easy maintenance, does it make to get a combo package like this? . This pump would feed the water fall and the bog.

Fish would be goldfish still, shubunkins for me and a different sort for my wife.

There are lots of natural rock here, unlike FL. I am excited to use only natural rock in this build.

Let me know your thoughts!
I have one pump that pushes water to the bottom of a 7 foot deep bog that then raises and drops over a 1 foot tall water fall. before it hits the 7 foot deep bog it splits and feeds a peastone bog both then flow down a stream to a 12x6 pond where there's two waterfalls that drop into the main pond. In the main pond there is also two return jets from the one main pump that adds circulation to the main pond . from there the water drops over a negative edge and back to the pump or drops to the bottom of the pond and to the main drain. so yes one pump can do many features just by splitting your hose sizes and adding ball valves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have one pump that pushes water to the bottom of a 7 foot deep bog that then raises and drops over a 1 foot tall water fall. before it hits the 7 foot deep bog it splits and feeds a peastone bog both then flow down a stream to a 12x6 pond where there's two waterfalls that drop into the main pond. In the main pond there is also two return jets from the one main pump that adds circulation to the main pond . from there the water drops over a negative edge and back to the pump or drops to the bottom of the pond and to the main drain. so yes one pump can do many features just by splitting your hose sizes and adding ball valves
I'm not saying one pump can't do it all, I'm just saying be aware of the GPH needs and don't underbuy on that one pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I'm not positive if we will do a waterfall or not, may just do a nice fountain in the middle to keep things simple. Bog's are very low water flow are they not?

Pond will just be one tier, with a bog slightly elevated so it can drain into it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not building a waterfall is a mistake, When you go to someone else's pond down the road and see there even small 1 foot drop into the pond from the bog and how the sound is so soothing and the glimmer of the water as if falls is mesmerizing. add a light at night and it's unbelievable how magical is it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
. Bog's are very low water flow are they not?
My bog is large, I pump in around 6500 gph, I have a very nice waterfall back into the pond and it weeps over the entire bog wall. The waterfall rock is about 3 foot wide.
Screenshot 2021-04-21 102827.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-21 103044.jpg

Ask a Question