water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
copperheads from the front wall for relocation
I doubt, unless we have another surprise run in, I could ever find where it is living for relocation. We have sheds, tons of plants, etc etc plenty of places for a nice snake home!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always heard that Copperheads are more aggressive than Rattlers. The worst I find are tiny garter snakes - I would have to burn the house down and move if I saw one of those.

But I am no expert

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always heard that Copperheads are more aggressive than Rattlers.
I had many run ins with rattlers in AZ, I did field research when working on my Masters (had to pay those bills somehow). Those snakes were darn nasty, hissing, rattling, coiled and ready.
The copperhead, only coiled up once, opened its mouth as a threat and then took off into the grass. A lot calmer than the rattlers I have run into. Might have been just been afraid of my lil pups!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
About five years ago, one of my FB friends who lives in NC, let her Newfoundland out to potty before bed. She was bitten by a snake ( I forget what kind ) and died ....so it's not only small dogs at risk :(

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They never go out without us, now both will be on leash at night. Lil bear is too young and too inquisitive to be loose. Anything that moves he goes after. Missy is old enough to listen, but now on leash just in case we see it again. Lil bear is on leash all of the time, Missy is allowed off for certain walks.

I cut the grass down to 2.5 inches, where they potty, no snake can hide in it now. Unless they wiggle way down next to the dirt. Not too scared, but going to be on high alert!

I lost a 4 lb pure white yorkie to a coyote in AZ, late hubby did not listen when I told him I saw coyote scat in the yard. They were jumping our 6 foot block wall looking for prey. He let them out without checking for the coyote, she was taken. It still breaks my heart 14 years later.
I looked for her for weeks, knowing I would never find anything.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sure glad Missy stopped when you yelled! I'd sure be on the lookout forever for those snakes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh @addy1 , that is heartbreaking about the coyote getting your yorkie :( We have lots of coyotes in our area and sadly we hear of such stories on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
About five years ago, one of my FB friends who lives in NC, let her Newfoundland out to potty before bed. She was bitten by a snake ( I forget what kind ) and died ....so it's not only small dogs at risk :(
Depending on where she lives in NC, there are several different venomous snakes. Fortunately, where I am (NW foothills) the only ones we have are copperheads & timber rattlers. The rattlesnakes are quite rare, and although the copperheads are very numerous, their venom isn't on par with them. Still, nothing to go poking at! We use professional snake tongs to capture them when we find one fully out & accessible.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh @addy1 , that is heartbreaking about the coyote getting your yorkie :( We have lots of coyotes in our area and sadly we hear of such stories on a regular basis.
Oh I could have slaughtered him! I was so mad. I was at work he called and told me, one pup made it back into the house, the other gone. Found out later, the neighbors two houses away were gone for the summer. The coyotes made that their resting spot.

josey.jpg
josey1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Watch out for birds of prey too. I was helping my brother-in-law one day and his yorkie was loose with us in the yard. I saw a large bird circling in the air above the yorkie. We put the dog in the house. I have no doubt that bird would have grabbed that dog with ease.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We do, our main hawks here are red shoulder hawks, they go for small prey, frogs, mice etc. I did see one bald eagle one time.
They are never just running loose here, we have no fencing, almost 4 acres and enough plants they can disappear real fast. If out we are right next to them, esp the pup he is on leash no matter what, Missy gets a bit of lea way, with us maybe 10 feet from her. We do have fox here.

I was up in colorado, many years ago, late hubby and I had built a log cabin at 8000 feet in a real neat area. Near 4 corners. I was walking the yorkies, snow covered everything, one of my lil girls got a bit ahead of me and I called her back swinging my arm up. Right then I heard the screech of a eagle, it was on the dive for her. My yell and throwing up my arm scared it off. A immature one, brown in color. From then on back on leash and right at my feet.

Ask a Question