GFI pump outlet and power outage

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both my pond pumps hooked up to a GFCI outlet as required by code. These things do not trip often but my concern is that if they trip and I am away the pumps stop and will not start again until the outlet is manually reset. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this other than having a neighbor go and reset it?

My second question is that in the event of a power outage how long will it take for the pond to deplete of oxygen? A few hours, days, etc? The Pond is 3000 gallons and about 3 feet deep at the lowest point. Water temp in the summer is about high of 84 and dips to 70's in the winter. I know water carries more O2 when cold but not really sure how that amounts to how much time before I have to get an air compressor in there. Any one with knowledge of this?

Thanks,

JP

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I have both my pond pumps hooked up to a GFCI outlet as required by code. These things do not trip often but my concern is that if they trip and I am away the pumps stop and will not start again until the outlet is manually reset. Has anyone come up with a good solution to this other than having a neighbor go and reset it?

My second question is that in the event of a power outage how long will it take for the pond to deplete of oxygen? A few hours, days, etc? The Pond is 3000 gallons and about 3 feet deep at the lowest point. Water temp in the summer is about high of 84 and dips to 70's in the winter. I know water carries more O2 when cold but not really sure how that amounts to how much time before I have to get an air compressor in there. Any one with knowledge of this?

Thanks,

JP
I had a gfci outlet trip on my pump while I was away, and the pond iced over, no solution found but definitely a problem.

As far as oxygen goes, it really depends on your fish load. If it is a highly stocked koi pond then it could be a matter of hours, but if there are just a few goldfish they could go for a week or more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
like Fishguy says; depends on your load. The deeper, more water, the less fish load, the colder the water, the more latitude for power outages.

You could have two pumps, each on their own circuit so if one gfci blows, the other will stay on. Doesn't help if you lose total power, though. For that, you need a backup generator (natural gas) for either the whole power system or just the pond. Too, you can try backup batteries that come on when mains power is out, but with a pump, I doubt the cost will be low.

smiley-tongue-on-icy-pole---Xsml.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey welcome back @TheFishGuy was wondering where ya went to!

I have never worried about power outs, but I have only goldfish and a lot of water room. The ponds are not running, winter, for over 5 months, the fish do fine, but the water is cold.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neighbor go and reset it
I use a ring camera to visually see the pond and if i notice the power has gone off yes i call family or neighbor it can take as short as 3 or 4 hours for lack of o2 to become an issue to 24 hours again depending on fish load and how much plant matter is in the pond plants give off o2 during the day but absorb 02 at night

Ask a Question