GFI tripping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i posted this the other day to an old thread....

"My gfi started tripping this morning. When I reset it, it trips again in about 10 seconds. I started unplugging one plug at a time and found it was the pump tripping it. The ionizer, aerator, sump pump and transformer are all okay. Any thoughts on what to check on the pump? Could something have been sucked up into the intake like a big frog?"

Since the pond is closing down within the week I didn't want to take everything apart but, duh, when I checked the skimmer basket I saw how dirty the media was. I don't think I washed it off for way too long and I haven't done the mats at the top of the hill all season. Newbie stupidity I guess.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could definitely have something blocking the impeller or intake. If you don't want to take it apart, you can try putting a garden hose on the output side and see if it flushes anything out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For what it's worth, I had a constantly tripping GFI just before the pump went kaput. No blockage found, just a dead 3 year old pump...once a new pump was installed all was well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How old is the pump. does it show signs of ageing. Like mentioned above anything in the impeller? It could be the gfci it's self getting tired, especially if it is outside. I'd start with replacing the gfci myself but that is an electrical issue not to play with if you don't know what you are doing.

Ask a Question