Gluing rocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We used a nice flat piece of flagstone to create an entrance point into the pond for our dogs. It's very different in shape & style from the other edge rocks to make it very obvious. It steps down onto the shelf (where we obviously didn't plant anything) where another piece of flagstone covers the liner there & then it again gently steps down into a shallower area of the pond. Then entire bottom is covered in gravel to protect the liner. We did have to spend a bit of time training the dogs (only one of whom at this point really ever goes wallowing) where the 'entrance point' was. The other two do use this area as their place to stand & get a drink from the giant water bowl we built for them in the yard. :sneaky:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I know you don't like the foam stuff, but did you know that Great Gap hole filler from hardware store very cheap and works the same as the very expensive black foam filler that people use for waterfalls. I used the Great Gap hole filler to seal rocks around pond so dogs don't knock them around. It's safe for fish as I used it for years on my bottom pond. Locks the rocks good and keeps for years.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That's exactly what I'm finding in my current pond build. It doesn't really make things waterproof, that is, water can still find a way under or around it. It's more of a filler that forces water over or around it. For waterproofing, I've found that silicone (black, preferably) is better. Not sure if silicone would be any stronger than foam if used as a glue.
The big gap hole filler that I use from Hardware store really holds the rocks like glue and for many years too! It's simalar to the black waterfall foam but a fraction of the price. It is yellow when dry but so are my rocks and then I stick dry moss in-between rocks to hide it before it dries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Uv is the main culprit to foam breaking down.

Ask a Question