Gluing rocks

Reaction score
I have two golden retrievers who like to get in the pond and I need something to glue the rocks together?
I don’t really want to use the foam stuff

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where are the rocks located in the pond? Can you post a picture of your pond — pictures help us understand what’s going on.

And what is your liner made of? I would be concerned about dog claws damaging the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @Mmathis - pictures of your pond would help. But in general, rocks should be large enough so no dog - or human - can move them. "Gluing" them will only work in the short term anyway - I don't know of anything that would glue them together and hold for more than a season at most. Do you really want to be "re-gluing" rocks constantly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As an interesting side note, I have three small flat rocks attached to a large flat rock in my swimming pool waterfall, to break up the stream of water into four ribbons before it falls into the pool. The small rocks were attached with silicone caulk over 20 years ago and still hold firm, despite the heavy chlorination and turbulence of the moving water. I am always surprised when something I do actually works...disappointment is the usual result.

Reaction score
Ok, thank you relic!
I just moved in and don’t have a pond yet.
I’ve built probably half a dozen ponds but not with dogs like these lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two golden retrievers who like to get in the pond and I need something to glue the rocks together?
I don’t really want to use the foam stuff
Not sure why you don't like the foam I glued an entire extension of rocks along the walls worked great the foam that expanded further then i wanted i just shaved off with a putty knife.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD - the foam will give out over time. We blued a few rocks in our pondless waterfall and probably three or four years in, you could easily pull up any of them with just a tug. Same with our bog wall - the foam eventually started coming out in chunks and needs to be re-done.

For aesthetic reasons, I think it's fine to use foam to hold rocks in place, but I wouldn't recommend it as a structural solution if you're hoping to hold them together when animals are involved.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD - the foam will give out over time. We blued a few rocks in our pondless waterfall and probably three or four years in, you could easily pull up any of them with just a tug. Same with our bog wall - the foam eventually started coming out in chunks and needs to be re-done.

For aesthetic reasons, I think it's fine to use foam to hold rocks in place, but I wouldn't recommend it as a structural solution if you're hoping to hold them together when animals are involved.
As you know I can't speak long term as this was just created last year. However the foam is not so much a glue as it is a filler . Primarily does not see the sun. I guess i will see how it lasts but i have to admit i doubt it will ever see that much pressure or abuse.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD Remember that the OP is looking for a way to secure rocks because her 2 goldens will be getting in and out of it.

@okiee If your pond hasn’t been built yet, why not design it in a way that will keep the rocks securely in place — held by their own weight. Of course, it will depend on the size of your pond, but if you have a deep enough shelf, you can place some pretty hefty rocks there. Also, you could design it in such a way that you would have a “beach” area — a shallow spot for the dogs to get in and out. Dogs are smart! Teach them that THIS is the only place they are allowed. Be sure to have a very substantial liner!! Rubber, not plastic!

Oh, and most important, take lots of pictures! We love to see pond pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
There is foam in my 15 year old pond. The raccoons have destroyed most of it. So far, doesn't appear that the raccoons have created leaks in the rubber (?) pond liner. I'm sure dogs would do the same. When a pond expert came out he told me the foam was never necessary, the rocks are heavy enough to stay in place. As someone mentioned, the pond design should alleviate most problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
However the foam is not so much a glue as it is a filler

Exactly. When used for the purpose it was intended it's good stuff. It WILL glue things together (like your fingers or gravel to your gloves for example) but it's really not intended to hold things together long term.

Reaction score
@GBBUDD Remember that the OP is looking for a way to secure rocks because her 2 goldens will be getting in and out of it.

@okiee If your pond hasn’t been built yet, why not design it in a way that will keep the rocks securely in place — held by their own weight. Of course, it will depend on the size of your pond, but if you have a deep enough shelf, you can place some pretty hefty rocks there. Also, you could design it in such a way that you would have a “beach” area — a shallow spot for the dogs to get in and out. Dogs are smart! Teach them that THIS is the only place they are allowed. Be sure to have a very substantial liner!! Rubber, not plastic!

Oh, and most important, take lots of pictures! We love to see pond pictures!
Unfortunately most the rocks I have are (little bigger then a softball) river rock.
I can’t lift the big boulders like I use to.
The beach idea is awesome

Reaction score
Unfortunately most the rocks I have are (little bigger then a softball) river rock.
I can’t lift the big boulders like I use to.
The beach idea is awesome
Dog proof pond
1599514472974.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
However, the foam is not so much a glue as it is a filler.
That's exactly what I'm finding in my current pond build. It doesn't really make things waterproof, that is, water can still find a way under or around it. It's more of a filler that forces water over or around it. For waterproofing, I've found that silicone (black, preferably) is better. Not sure if silicone would be any stronger than foam if used as a glue.

Ask a Question