Going to a Liner Pond.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello to all,
This is my first post having just joined your forum a few minutes ago. I'm almost 70, but hope to complete this new pond early this spring and hopefully have many years left to enjoy it as we have our current pond. I'm sure I'll be looking and asking a lot here as I go forward, but this is my first question. I have had a 270 gal preformed pond for 10 or 12 years now for our Koi. This year I plan on putting in a larger one (1000 gal or so) using a liner. I live in Connecticut (is frost an issue, that just hit me as I was writing this)? Although I've had experience with the preform pond I have (I installed it) this is my first time using a liner type. I plan on using the common underlayment one sees on line, and thought of possibly adding a layer of heavy (10-12 oz) burlap under that. It would all lie in a bed of sand, or finely (1/4") screened fill which I have a lot of here. One of the first questions that come to mind is how likely are roots from a tree or bush to puncture the liner if they were over time able to grow that far? I won't be placing it close to any, but I just wonder if over time it could be an issue. I never had to deal with on my existing pond. I plan on using the popular Firestone liner if that is a consideration. Also along the same lines, how puncture resistant is the liner if a rock were to someday frost heave it self up close the the liner, even with the underlayment? Should I use a double layer of the underlayment? As you can probably see I am a hopeless case of trying to make things as infallible as possible, so I'm sorry if I sound like a PITA, I really am not in general. Thank you for any help or suggestions you may be able to offer.

Bill

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Per the liner, my pond is lined, we do get frost snow during a normal winter, this one has been warm. The freeze has never bothered the liner.

I have my pond near 3 big trees, one maple, two apples, no root issues. I have never had a root go through a liner. My under-layment is just carpet padding. Our soil is very rocky, no heaving issues.

The liner is pretty tear resistant. I did not use epdm for the big pond, but did use it for my small ponds I have had no issues no matter how hard it froze.

Any questions ask away. We like helping people build ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to you! @addy1 has answered your initial questions just as I would have. Feel free to ask as many as you have. Far better than to come later and say "I've built this pond and now I have this issue..." which possibly could have been avoided with a bit of planning!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
welcome-1.gif

Welcome, billjr. There are a lot of very pond knowledgeable folks here. You'll learn a lot from this friendly group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just a quick note after receiving all of your wonderful responses. WOW, I am completely speechless for all the welcoming and helpful replies. And in such a short time, I am so happy I joined your great forum. I have already become more comfortable going the liner route, especially as it pertains to any kind of troublesome roots. Yes I'm aware there are always exceptions but it's very reassuring to get the first hand information and knowledge that you all have and are willing to share. It's still cold here, but I've already started some preliminary work on the location, and the rock I've accumulated over time. I will be sorting through all of that and getting it ready to be thoroughly cleaned for when it finally becomes needed, hopefully in a few months. So before I go any farther and forget (never did have a good memory, and what's left is even worse) I just wanted to get this well deserved "Thank You All" off and tell you how much I appreciate all your help. I will hopefully be wandering all over this site as I go forward with our new pond. Thank you all again, and hope to speak with you all soon.

Bill

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Okay, you are on the right track with firestone fiberglass liner. It's bulletproof. As for burlap and roots, you will not believe this, but burlap and discarded carpet can attract termites and they will, over time punch small pinholes in your liner. I published an article in koi magazine about seven years ago about the termite threat. Here's how that works, and I got the lead on this story from a pond builder who found the problem. Any dead wood or cellulose product is a food source. Termites need wood and water, so the liner sweats just like the inside of your car window does with a drop in temperature. The termites drink the water and chew at the liner. The liner looks Like someone shaved it with a razor, and eventually the termite breaks through. Same issue with dead roots from a tree that is cut down. A pond near trees draws roots to it for the condensed moisture, and after several years, the roots form a structure under the pond that looks like a woven basket. Tree dies, roots die, and bingo...termite all you can eat. An entomologist at North Carolina state shared Pictures of a swimming pool liner in rutherfordton that had six inch cuts at the waterline made by Formosan termites. The builder had built the raceways for pipes from untreated plywood.

As for root punctures, not probable because of the way roots form under pressure; however, if you are worried, line the bottom of your pond with hardiboard. These are 3by 5 concrete plates sandwiched between Fiberglas fabric. They are used to back tile on floors and walls. No rock could penetrate hardiboard and firestone liner. I've used them for years. Oh yes, and termites penetrate flexhose the same way if the hose is buried in the ground. Pvc is simple to use and bulletproof.. at least with termites.

As for 1000 gallons, why not go deeper and go for 2000 gallons? It will help with cold temperatures and can handle 6 to 10 full size koi. Just a suggestion.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Firestone does not manufacture a fiberglass liner. Firestone does manufacture several types of fiberglass roofing mats. These are rigid and not suitable for pond lining.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My point is that you stated that it was fiberglass liner, which it is not. Firestone does not manufacture such a product nor does anyone else.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had carpet pad under my Arizona pond, termite city, fight them constantly, never had a issue with them hurting the liner.

I have carpet pad under this pond, now in its 7th year, so far no issues with anything harming the liner.

Ask a Question