How's your Christmas shopping going?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't start shopping too soon in the season, because I'm one of those people that don't know when enough is enough, and risks overspending....but man I really envy those people that can start early and is almost done!
I started my shopping yesterday, I was out for hours and only managed to find a couple of small things for my boys.

Shopping used to be fun when the kids were little, not anymore!
We all make wish lists but the idea when we started doing that, was to write a very long list for people to pick what to buy from, so that there would still be the mystery of what was under the tree, this year's lists are way too short...hubby and I don't want to pick all the items on their lists but have no clue what else we could get them....I wish I could just give them money, but they love unwrapping too much

How's your Christmas shopping going?
christmass6.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm all done except for the son in law........................he is procrastinating w/making his list
upload_2018-12-3_8-57-20.gif

I order everything online now as I hate the maddening crowds! I remember those olden days when it was fun to go out and see all the Christmasy set ups and things were more peaceful and felt warm and cozy. The stores would have big display windows and kids could interact w/their little hands to run the trains. There were even carolers that sang in neighbor hoods. Everyone had the spirit of Christmas and it showed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@j.w I didn't grow up with carolers but I do know what you mean!
I miss all the special vendors in Malls and the many gift ideas stores used to have...not to mention the smell of roasted almonds
smchristmass2.gif

Nice Santa!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We don't shop at all! :eek:

One year, when we were kids, my parents asked us if we wanted the whole Christmas at home thing, or skip it all and go to Florida. Obviously, we opted for the trip, and travel instead of gifts became a tradition that carried into my adulthood. My husband and I skip presents for X-mas, birthdays, anniversaries, Valentines... and use our money to travel instead.

We only have two family members that are anywhere nearby, so Christmas day is spent together, sharing a lovely meal, and playing cribbage. And, back when it was still possible, we would take the family for a holiday outing...like a camping trip someplace warm, a drive somewhere to see an awesome light display, tickets to a special show, or a weekend in the Smokys.

I couldn't tell you what trinkets I got for Christmas in 1976, but I can remember all of our travels and good times together!:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Traveling was never my thing, so I can't even imagine choosing to do it during the Holidays and potential bad weather...but, I think the majority of people would gladly do the same as you @Somethin' Fishy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Traveling was never my thing, so I can't even imagine choosing to do it during the Holidays and potential bad weather...

Well, that is the one thing that changed about our holiday tradition - we no longer travel during the holidays. When I was a kid, we had no choice but to use the holiday break from school. But now we opt for off season travel to avoid the crowds, which comes with the added bonus of it generally being cheaper as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My Christmas shopping needs to get done, I just don't like shopping. I am going to order some silly board games as do every year, can't have Christmas without some fun games, just have to figure out which ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Christmas shopping needs to get done, I just don't like shopping. I am going to order some silly board games as do every year, can't have Christmas without some fun games, just have to figure out which ones.
We play a lot of games when we get together, my favorite was apple to apple but it's getting a bit boring.
Apple to Apple with image cards was a great success when mom came to visit (she doesn't speak English) but most of the pics are weird and so this year we're going to try a couple of different games in the order but with better images
What is your favorite game?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Gemma monopoly is a game I never get sick of for the holidays. Two in two out is a great card game that I love during the holidays. My favourite was playing guitar hero, all us adults had a part of the band parts from our kids, none of us had an ounce of talent between us for singing, so whoever got the best marks for singing was a winner and we rotated turns on the instruments. We sounded so bad it was just straight up funny.This year I got a paint ball gun, so I am going to hide outside, they always come looking for me for some reason or another so I plan to get them all. I will take a hiding position behind the garage and wait until they come out with the dogs. I'm fast so I should be able to get them stuck hiding in the garden for a while. I hope there is snow as that will make it even better. I will also make sure they have no access to water as they won't even think twice about using it on me. I can't wait.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma monopoly is a game I never get sick of for the holidays. Two in two out is a great card game that I love during the holidays. My favourite was playing guitar hero, all us adults had a part of the band parts from our kids, none of us had an ounce of talent between us for singing, so whoever got the best marks for singing was a winner and we rotated turns on the instruments. We sounded so bad it was just straight up funny.This year I got a paint ball gun, so I am going to hide outside, they always come looking for me for some reason or another so I plan to get them all. I will take a hiding position behind the garage and wait until they come out with the dogs. I'm fast so I should be able to get them stuck hiding in the garden for a while. I hope there is snow as that will make it even better. I will also make sure they have no access to water as they won't even think twice about using it on me. I can't wait.
I love Monopoly but everyone seems to have different rules. Where I come from you have to land on a property before you can buy it or build on it, and no matter how much money you have you cannot buy hotels unless you made a round with 4 houses on that particular lot. It makes the game last longer but I like it better and every player has a fair chance.
Never heard of "Two in Two" have to check that out
Paint guns, now that's a cool idea! My boys would totally love it (is the paint washable?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Love hearing about the different game ideas! My favorite was Trivial Pursuit, but everybody quit playing with me! Sore losers... :LOL: So I'd go with backgammon (acey deucey) as the current favorite. I really enjoyed Mahjong, using our tile set or cards, but now its too complicated for one of our family members to play. So we usually play cribbage, Farkle, or Mexican train dominoes. My husband got us a card/dice game called, "Deer in the Headlights", one year, and that was a good one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got my grand daughter a couple things and the dogs get new toys. My kids and decide on a dollar amount to contribute and shop for a family in need.
I like that! We donate non perishable foods to the food drive but I don't know where it actually goes, hopefully it doesn't end up on some shelf to be SOLD to the needy
I would love to target needy family and give them ANONYMOUS gifts (like in the movie) but I don't know how to go about it, I don't trust anyone!

@Somethin' Fishy I've never heard of the games you mentioned, thanks for giving me something to look into! :)

@Tara I was seriously considering the paint guns, being on 4 acres surrounded by woods I thought it'd be really fun for the whole family....until I researched the safety hazards of paint guns and the word "death" came up. I can't guarantee that my kids would properly handle the pressure tank so I have to pass on that, and that's too bad, my boys would've really loved it! ...got any other idea?

Ask a Question