Gold fish with lump growth on head and very very slowly progressing exopthalmia

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Good weekend all,

I have missed being present in this group, and having more time to tend to my pond; life has had me unexpectedly busy since the new year…

One of my fish has for the past two years or so gradually been developing exopthalmia and a growth on its head (not certain if it’s female or not, but that’s my suspicion). Because the eyes and the lump have all been basically keeping track with one another, I’ve been assuming this is some sort of slow growing tumor issue or other non-infectious process, but I thought I’d check in with you all to see if anyone had any other thoughts. My pond is quite small so while I’d of course prefer my fish not go blind I don’t think it would be impossible for my fish to survive blind for some time. I’ve only had experience with blindness in a betta and that fish did surprisingly well for a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpeg
    IMG_7176.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7180.jpeg
    IMG_7180.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7179.jpeg
    IMG_7179.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Here is a photo from April 2022 for comparison

Attachments

• IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
And summer 2021 before the growth started

Attachments

• IMG_7181.png
    IMG_7181.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would let it keep living it's life in your pond. It doesn't seem to show signs of infection.

It reminds me of the overgrowth in Oranda goldfish. I wonder if this is the same genetic mutation that started that strain or if this fish is a cross with an oranda and the growth happens over time.

Does it behave normally or act sick?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have had fish that get those and I just let them live. They live quite a long time w/it but eventually they pass, but then don't we all?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I would let it keep living it's life in your pond. It doesn't seem to show signs of infection.

It reminds me of the overgrowth in Oranda goldfish. I wonder if this is the same genetic mutation that started that strain or if this fish is a cross with an oranda and the growth happens over time.

Does it behave normally or act sick?
Yes, the lump does, but in fish like orandas the eyes themselves don’t begin to bulge

Ask a Question