Goldfish is torn up, but looks healthy?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So this is the second goldfish that I've found torn up. I have another goldfish, and I don't know if they'll eat a dead one. From my very limited knowledge this fish looks healthy. I previously found like 5-6 dragonfly larva that were easily as long or longer than the goldfish, and I thought I had caught them all. But then this fish showed up, and upon re-searching the pond I found 3 more big larva!

I just wanted to make sure that these were most likely the culprit and I'm not missing anything else. I kind of thought they'd eat more of the fish, but it looks like just the stomach portion was eaten. I killed the larva that I found (I have plenty of dragonflies in may garden don't worry!), and I suppose now I'll need to re-check the pond every couple weeks to make sure there aren't any others growing large enough to eat the fish.

Would you all say this is a good assumption? Or could the other goldfish just attacked this one? Or does he look sick and then just died leaving his corpse to be feasted upon?

Thank you!
IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8782.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Goldfish are not going to attack and kill another of similar size. May pick at a dying/dead one but I would lean toward consumption by the larvae.

Ask a Question