goldfish swimming head down

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I think you may have just identified the problem. The oil may have been ingested by the affected fish.

No, I seriously doubt it. I didn't even get these two fish until 2-3 weeks after the contamination and several pond flushes

One of my prized Koi, developed a crooked spine shortly after my wife sprayed around the pond with malathion. I found out that malation can cause the condition my Koi had.

Timber Oil is not malathion, an organophosphate poison of intense toxicity. AND I didn't spray around the pond. Only maybe 4-5 ml dripped into the pond. Because it was oil and floated on the surface it affected the water hyacinths, I think. However, the fish were not on the surface and I didn't feed them.

Oil is lighter than water and a droplet could have attached itself to a pellet that was eaten by this Koi.

See above. I didn't feed them for a day after the contamination. IF it had been the contamination, why then are none of the other fish affected who WERE in the pond at the time.

This part is for everyone on the Forum...
Why does it always take so long to get all the facts? People, when you have a sick fish, gather everything you can think of before you panic and ask everyone for help. Some of the answers you get might kill your fish if all the facts are not known.

#1 I didn't panic.
#2 I didn't state these facts initially precisely for the reason that someone would jump to the conclusion that the oil was the problem and dismiss other possibilities. I ONLY mentioned the oil to explain why I did a total filter clean up which I know is otherwise not such a good idea.
#3 Wilde is doing better. Swimming almost normally now, if not totally normally.

The information I did get about possible constipation, soaking the pellets before feeding, varying food type and avoiding feeding for a day or two was MOST helpful. I may not have gotten any of it if I'd mentioned the timber oil.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Every bit of information had to be extracted from you post by post. Re read them. We are here to help, don't shoot the messenger.
Your first post had nothing in it.

Reaction score
True, it could have had something to do with the oil, or that the pond had to recycle due to extensive cleaning of the filters... that might explain the ammonia. I would still do a water change to remove the ammonia. But maybe skip the filter cleaning if possible. Usually there is some bacteria on sides and bottom of pond and water features, etc. But you should have zero ammonia readings. I would suspend feeding several more days and then feed very lightly. And, I would test every day for a while... glad she is better.

Reaction score
Rick,

I agree with Cashb - Do more water changes to get that amm reading to 0. Check and it daily. Also, reduce feeding until the amm is 0 is she is recovered.

DrDave means well, he just comes off a little harsh sometimes.

Reaction score
Hi again friends,

Wilde's doing better today. Almost normal. I'm very relieved. Acknowledging personal fallibility and potential for error, I increasingly consider no longer assuming direct responsibility for another creature's life and habitat. It's hard enough just to try to do no harm in general.

water change today, probably 15%. will add treatment for the chlorine in the replacement. also will get test kits today. would like to test the water for contaminants--I'll check with our extension office, city water dept. and our ag university to see who can do it.

thanks again for your concern and advice. I'm sure her recovery is based on those recommendations.

Rick

Reaction score
I had a fan tail a few years back that went head down. She ate and swam like that for 2 1/2 years. She passed in the winter. Made me sad she was special. Tried everything to help her, nothing helped so I just kept her as she was. She was 10 years old when she passed away.

Ask a Question