Good morning!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Your tank is apparently about half-way through the cycling process, hence the high Nitrite level. Now that you have a fairly accurate rest result, a simple temporary solution to lowering the toxicity of Nitrite in your tank would be to add One (1) teaspoon of pond salt. No more, no less. This should get you through the remainder to the cycling without any additional fish loss. Once the tank has completely cycled, start doing 25% water changes to reduce the salt level. This is one of the few times that I recommend water changes.

Do you have a calculator that gave you that amount?
I came up with a different number (5 tsp) using this calculator: http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/calculators/salt-treat-nitrite.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I came up with a different number (5 tsp) using this calculator: http://www.fishtanksandponds.co.uk/calculators/salt-treat-nitrite.html
I will wait to hear? I have a 300 gallon tank, but I would guess it is about 280 Gallons because it is not full. Do you have a recommendation as to what kind of salt? Thank you for the info!!! And also, the text kit recommends StressZyme when you have a high Nitrite. Do you say skip that??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No, add the 1 tsp now. Do not use iodized table salt. What type of salt do you have on hand now?
Also, if you come across any other dead fish, have a look at what colour their gills are - pink, red or brown.

I'm not familiar with Stresszyme, sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
No, add the 1 tsp now. Do not use iodized table salt. What type of salt do you have on hand now?
Also, if you come across any other dead fish, have a look at what colour their gills are - pink, red or brown.

I'm not familiar with Stresszyme, sorry.

I actually do not have any salt on hand! I think I would be able to only get something at a Walmart on a Sunday evening. The gills were red by the way. The only salt I have is sea salt and himalyian sea salt...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Red gills indicate ammonia poisoning, so there is nothing you could have done for them.
The red gills are to be expected if the fish have been in the tub since the beginning of the cycle.

I'm not very familiar with Walmart, but if they have a pet section, they should carry aquarium or pond salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Red gills indicate ammonia poisoning, so there is nothing you could have done for them.
The red gills are to be expected if the fish have been in the tub since the beginning of the cycle.

I'm not very familiar with Walmart, but if they have a pet section, they should carry aquarium or pond salt.

OK, They should have it, they do have any aquarium section. I will run up right now. Thank you!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Actually I got that dosage from two different independent sites that use a 300 gallon tank as an example. I would think that the proper procedure for dosing with salt for Nitrite toxicity would be the same as that used in dosing a pond; one would gradually add the salt over the course of several days to minimize any stress/shock to the fish.
I would think that the prudent course of action would be to start with the One (1) teaspoon dose and observe the behavior of the fish, adding One (1) teaspoon/day, if needed, for up to 3 days. (Salt should be dissolved in water before adding to tank.) Dosage should cease when the fish begin to show less symptoms of stress.
NOTE: Adding salt will not change the results of any test for Nitrite. The salt only alters the osmotic balance of the gill membrane.
Stresszyme is a Mars/API product that basically performs the same function as salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Actually I got that dosage from two different independent sites that use a 300 gallon tank as an example. I would think that the proper procedure for dosing with salt for Nitrite toxicity would be the same as that used in dosing a pond; one would gradually add the salt over the course of several days to minimize any stress/shock to the fish.
I would think that the prudent course of action would be to start with the One (1) teaspoon dose and observe the behavior of the fish, adding One (1) teaspoon/day, if needed, for up to 3 days. (Salt should be dissolved in water before adding to tank.) Dosage should cease when the fish begin to show less symptoms of stress.
NOTE: Adding salt will not change the results of any test for Nitrite. The salt only alters the osmotic balance of the gill membrane.
Stresszyme is a Mars/API product that basically performs the same function as salt.
Thank you! I added 1 tsp last night. I am going to observe and see if I should add more this afternoon. The dosage on the bag says 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. So if they are flashing, could that be because of the Nitrite in the tank?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
After re-reading this thread, apparently all of us neglected to mention a very important subject.
If you are still feeding the fish...STOP!
This only exacerbated your problem and extends the time it will take for the tank to cycle. The fish will be OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
After re-reading this thread, apparently all of us neglected to mention a very important subject.
If you are still feeding the fish...STOP!
This only exacerbated your problem and extends the time it will take for the tank to cycle. The fish will be OK.
Ok, for how long should I stop? And also, since the Nitrite level will not change on the API test, How much salt should I add? Since it calls for the Teaspoon for 10 Gallons, and I have 250, over the next few days, how many teaspoons should I add?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Stop feeding until your nitrites have reduced to zero. Possibly another week.
Did you put many rocks in the tub? Did they have any existing algae on them?
If so, then the fish will have something to nibble on.

Very little salt is needed, keep the dose at the 1 tsp only and monitor the nitrite level daily.
Let us know if the nitrite level increases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

Very little salt is needed, keep the dose at the 1 tsp only and monitor the nitrite level daily.
I put about a dozen rocks in from the pond, and they have a bit of algae left. They actually were going crazy on it after I put it in, so they are pretty well cleaned off. I can always add another rock or two a day. I will keep you updated. Again, thanks for all the advice!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Exactly as MitchM recommended above. One (1) teaspoon per day.
When symptoms of stress (flashing, etc.) subside cease any addition of salt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I didn't actually mean 1 tsp/day, I meant 1 tsp total, but I would follow Meyer Jordan's recommendation.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Ask a Question