Great, what did I do?

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
My 1 fancy goldfish was dying last week, barely swimming, didnt move until touched.

For some dumb reason I didnt think much of it, the water had cooled down quite a bit, my fiance had just topped off the pond with water, and i had heard before that the fancy little round guys werent as hardy as a normal comet or a koi. So i thought to myself, he's stressed, he's not liking the cooler temps.

I decided to bring him inside and put him in the aquarium, put in some ??? (not quite sure what it is) general fish medication 1 drop per gallon, sad to say he struggled for days, I really hoped it would come out of it, but never did. He layed at the bottom,hiding himself in between rocks. Finally, he died, and when i removed him i noticed some scales that looked very shiny, now that im thinking back on it, i couldnt tell you if the scales were gone, or if they were shiny, he was white, and again, dummy me, didnt think much of it because i was stuck on the "these fish arent that hardy, and he's been hiding in the rocks for days." mode. thinking he hurt himself.

This whole time I was monitoring the other fish in the pond, all seemed to be fine, swimming normally, eating. But now, almost a week later, my fiance tells me that she thinks one of the other fish has some really shiny scales, I have yet to see it because i didnt get home until after dark last night.

SO.... EIther shiny white scales, or missing scales not quite sure. sure didnt look like they stuck out at all. But i'll have to get a better look at the new ones that have it. right now they are all swimming fine still. I think she said there are 2 or 3 that she saw it on, should i remove them? or at this point its spreading so i should probably just treat the whole pond.

Sorry about my long rant, and not a whole lot of detail at this point, i'll get more info as soon as i get home from work today.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
one more quick question, when i get whatever this is under control, I need to find another fish like that, i dont know why, but it was my sons favorite. I guess it just stood out with its funny little fat shape.

but I saw these on the internet, panda moor, which i think is really cool looking. I search ebay, couldnt find any, does anybody know where you can buy them online?

Panda1.jpg

I found panda oranda's on petco.com website, but it doesnt look like a great website to buy fish, they have a general picture and not the actual picture of the fish you are buying.

Oh, and was what I read before true about these little chubby guys not being as hardy as a regular comet or a koi? Do others keep them in thier ponds? what about winter, can they stay outside liek the others?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The round-bodied fish are more likely to suffer from intestinal problems such as bloating, and when this happens under the ice, you will not see problems developing. By the time spring rolls around, they are usually dead. If you can bring them indoors over the winter they stand a much better chance of surviving. This has been my experience, I'm in zone 5. John

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Thanks John... I'm really hoping that it was something intestinal or something, and my fiance is just "seeing" things because she is paranoid about the one fish dying. She said she saw it on a black and white fish and there was a shiny scale in the black pattern... first thing I thought was, its just growing and the pattern is changing, but I guess I wont know until I get home.

Ask a Question