Green stones

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi pond forum its me once again, this week I went along to buy me some more koi for my pond. I wanted the ones imported from Japan as their colors are so much better from the ones which are breed locally. So after buying 6 of those kois
the shop keeper tells me I should add a medication into my pond. It's a antibiotic which kills off any pathogens in the pond or in my existing fish. Its name was S1 and its in a green solution. Reason for me to do this is to prevent my six very expensive koi from being ill. Since he is a reputed breeder and has sold kois all over the world I beleived him. So I added the solution into my pond. After three days I am suppose to do a 20% water change but I see all my stones have turned green, my water also is not to good looking due to. The reflection of the green stones. Is this normal? And must I do anything to rectify my green stones?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi pond forum its me once again, this week I went along to buy me some more koi for my pond. I wanted the ones imported from Japan as their colors are so much better from the ones which are breed locally. So after buying 6 of those kois
the shop keeper tells me I should add a medication into my pond. It's a antibiotic which kills off any pathogens in the pond or in my existing fish. Its name was S1 and its in a green solution. Reason for me to do this is to prevent my six very expensive koi from being ill. Since he is a reputed breeder and has sold kois all over the world I beleived him. So I added the solution into my pond. After three days I am suppose to do a 20% water change but I see all my stones have turned green, my water also is not to good looking due to. The reflection of the green stones. Is this normal? And must I do anything to rectify my green stones?

I am not familiar with a product named 'S1'. Perhaps it is also known by a different name. The biggest problem with treating an entire pond with an antibiotic product is that these products are not 'specie-specific'. In other words, the product negatively affects pathogenic, benign and BENEFICIAL bacteria equally. Water quality can be greatly impacted.
As for the rock turning green, this could just be staining or possible a chemical reaction to the S1. In any case, over time the rock will be eventually covered with periphyton, which is extremely beneficial, concealing the color of the rock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you Meyer, so if my beneficial bacteria has been killed how do I revive them?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you Meyer, so if my beneficial bacteria has been killed how do I revive them?

Without knowing the true effectiveness of this S1 and considering the fact that no treatment is 100% effective, your nitrifying bacteria will recover on its own over time. You may experience some symptoms of 'New Pond Syndrome'--Ammonia spike, green water (planktonic algae blooms), etc.
I would closely monitor the water for high Ammonia and Nitrite levels. Otherwise you should eventually return to stable water quality levels. Also monitor your fish for signs of stress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well Meyer my water is actually very clear only green looking due to the presence of the green antibiotic still lingering. My fish are still abit afraid to come up and eat due to new pond syndrome over than that no stress. Except for one goldfish which looks abit stressed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Meyer is indeed correct each country uses differing names from dffering pond medicines so though it sounds you've found a good one sadly it means nothng to anyone else other than another forum member who hailed from your own neck of the woods,
We use an Ulcer treatment here in the UK that is a wonder treatment and works fantasticly well called koi clear Gel sadly the US can import it :( so as you can see its of no use when infact its a wonder drug ....

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sorry to hear that Dave.
Day 6 after adding my medication water is still slightly greenish not due to the planktonic bloom but more due to the med still at work I guess. Stones still green sad to say. But I see development of algae at a site I have never seen it before, on my stream. My stream is one place for over 3 months has never had a single algae growth until today. Why is that? And when will I know the return of my good bacteria ?
Thank you for the help.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that Dave.
Day 6 after adding my medication water is still slightly greenish not due to the planktonic bloom but more due to the med still at work I guess. Stones still green sad to say. But I see development of algae at a site I have never seen it before, on my stream. My stream is one place for over 3 months has never had a single algae growth until today. Why is that? And when will I know the return of my good bacteria ?
Thank you for the help.
Periodic testing of your pond's water for Ammonia and/or Nitrite will verify whether or not your Nitriyfing bacteria are OK.
There are literally thousands of species of algae, each with its particular preference as to temperature and light. Some are Nitrate dependent, some Phosphorus dependent and still others need both to flourish. Water movement will also affect specie growth. Some, like filamentous algae, prefer moving water. Algae is spread by birds, amphibians, reptiles and even the wind in the form of spores. A certain level of algae is necessary for a balanced eco-system. Control of algae for aesthetic reasons is OK, but NEVER try to eliminate any and all presence of algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Meyer and thanks for the input. Well it's been along time since my last post and this is a update. Pond water is back to crystal clear and stains on stones have cleared up. But now there is a lot of algae growth all over my pond. Anything that makes contact with the water has a layer of algae on it, even my aquatic plant. This has never happen before!!! So like you said Meyer I only wiped of the algae and a few part and after about two days I can already see a layer of algae on it. My pond is extremely well aerated. Why does the algae regrow so fast?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Meyer and thanks for the input. Well it's been along time since my last post and this is a update. Pond water is back to crystal clear and stains on stones have cleared up. But now there is a lot of algae growth all over my pond. Anything that makes contact with the water has a layer of algae on it, even my aquatic plant. This has never happen before!!! So like you said Meyer I only wiped of the algae and a few part and after about two days I can already see a layer of algae on it. My pond is extremely well aerated. Why does the algae regrow so fast?
Algae growth is limited by Light, availability of nutrients and, to some degree, temperature. Of these, only availability of nutrients is truly the main limiting factor. No living thing can survive without nutrients. The algae that you have is 'sessile' algae which requires attachment to a surface. This is 'good' algae. It is truly the 'recycling center' of your pond. Read my 2 articles on Periphyton in the Article section of this Forum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Meyer I really learnt a lot from your text earlier. Now I have another question. I see a lot of people washing their ponds for it to look clean, is that good or bad?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer I really learnt a lot from your text earlier. Now I have another question. I see a lot of people washing their ponds for it to look clean, is that good or bad?

A light rinsing of all surfaces will do no major harm. Power washing, however, is definitely ill-advised. It destroys the Aufwuchs and damages the Biofilm, compromising the basic biochemical functioning of the pond's ecosystem. It would require weeks/months to regain that level of functioning. You may have heard it said that a pond requires about one year to completely balance. This is what that statement is referring to. A complete cycle through all of the seasons is needed to establish the full richness and diversity of micro-organisms that can be supported by a particular pond.

Ask a Question