Green water ggrrrrrr......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My water was always crystal clear in the spring. During the summer of 2014, I had a massive string algae bloom. This was the first sign of algae in the 20 year old pond. I think this was caused by an EXTREMELY wet summer of 2013. A large quantity of nutrients was most likely washed into my pond. Several of my large fish died, due to lack of oxygen. I raked several wheelbarrow loads out.
Last spring, the pond was green. That's when I installed an aerator. It did clear up, when new vegetation grew. The sediment was and still is severe this spring. I am gaining on controlling the string algae. The silt does turn into green algae. I noticed a lot of green in the bottom of the pond, when I hand set the aerator last spring. Just a very thin coat. It looks like what I have seen Meyer Jordan call the good stuff.
The fish seem to be loving life. Although, the overflow goes into my second pond. It's not as green as the upper pond, and has never had any sting algae. I just got new fish for the lower pond. I have not been able to train them to eat fish food. I guess I will have to wait until the water clears. There should be plenty to eat in the pond for a while anyways.
I have never added anything to the pond, to clear up the water. I was considering it, until I read this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They won't!

I have many iris's growing in my pond and bogs. They do great. The nursery I get my plants from sells them in the pond section. Japanese Iris and Siberian Iris are two specific species I have and also some variegated. Not sure what they are specifically though.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My water was always crystal clear in the spring. During the summer of 2014, I had a massive string algae bloom. This was the first sign of algae in the 20 year old pond. I think this was caused by an EXTREMELY wet summer of 2013. A large quantity of nutrients was most likely washed into my pond. Several of my large fish died, due to lack of oxygen. I raked several wheelbarrow loads out.
Last spring, the pond was green. That's when I installed an aerator. It did clear up, when new vegetation grew. The sediment was and still is severe this spring. I am gaining on controlling the string algae. The silt does turn into green algae. I noticed a lot of green in the bottom of the pond, when I hand set the aerator last spring. Just a very thin coat. It looks like what I have seen Meyer Jordan call the good stuff.
The fish seem to be loving life. Although, the overflow goes into my second pond. It's not as green as the upper pond, and has never had any sting algae. I just got new fish for the lower pond. I have not been able to train them to eat fish food. I guess I will have to wait until the water clears. There should be plenty to eat in the pond for a while anyways.
I have never added anything to the pond, to clear up the water. I was considering it, until I read this thread.
Great update, Mike. I like how your upper pond functions as a filter of sorts for the lower pond with the new trout. The inlet (upper) pond receives the majority of off-site sediment runoff and resulting algae blooms, yet filters water passing to the lower pond. Don't worry about your new trout plants shying away from pellets, I'm sure you have tons of chironomids and mayflies emerging - damsel and dragonflies soon too. In other words, they have plenty of subsurface prey to fatten up on. (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have many iris's growing in my pond and bogs. They do great. The nursery I get my plants from sells them in the pond section. Japanese Iris and Siberian Iris are two specific species I have and also some variegated. Not sure what they are specifically though.

Yes, there are several Iris species and hybrids that will grow and thrive in an aquatic environment. Bearded iris is not one of these. http://www.irises.org/About_Irises/Cultural Information/Grow_Bearded.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So true. This preference for Ammonia does vary from specie to specie.
I am not sure that I would term Nitrite and Nitrate inert substances since they can elicit a reaction.
Meyer. Of course what you are saying is true and I appreciate your comment. I was trying to present the bigger picture that the ammonia needs to be converted to less harmful substances and algae helps a lot. I wouldn't want my pond having high nitrites and if I didn't have a watergarden with a lot of plants in it I wouldn't be happy with a lot of nitrates either!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't plug in my uv light until my pond cycles. I don't know if I'm the only one that does that, but I figure it is better to have too much algae than not enough in the spring. Once I plug it in then the single cell algae disappears pretty fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Personally? I liked your slight green pond tint. It looked like a perfectly natural (and lovely) pond btw.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put pond plants in the basement and bring them out and put them in the ponds and filters after a good clean and repot and when there is a frost warning I keep the concrete mixing tubs under the front porch and put them in there and cover them .But to be honest temps are milder here than some ponders have

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't plug in my uv light until my pond cycles. I don't know if I'm the only one that does that, but I figure it is better to have too much algae than not enough in the spring. Once I plug it in then the single cell algae disappears pretty fast!

Zooplankton have to eat too! As do newly hatched fry!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
75 F a few minutes ago! Supposed to be nice again tomorrow, then colder! :(
John

Ask a Question