Green water help

Reaction score
I have this approximately 150 gallon pond, i have had it since last summer. I am from Pennsylvania so obviously i closed it for the winter. When spring came this year i drained the pond, scrubbed it out, refilled it. The water turned green which was nothing we haven't dealt with before so we added the chemicals we did during the summer. Well this didn't seem to work, so we went and purchased pondzyme and algaefix to add. This again did not work, so we added a fountain to help with the movement of the water, (contributing to the previous waterfall). Still nothing, so we added drained the water scrubbed it down, removed all the rocks that were lining the bottom,and added a floating barley. I then added 2 water plants, and it stayed relatively clear for a few days and now we are back to green. The pond had a box filter with the 2 filter pads, and a 330 gph pump. It takes a lot of sunlight during the day even though the plants around the pond shade it some. I cant seem to control the algae. I need help!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum!
First of all, do you have fish? How many do you have if so?

Next, just FYI, unless there is a bacteria problem or an illness with your fish that cannot be handled without emptying your pond and scrubbing ( which I know personally of only one person that this has happened to) you should not empty your pond or scrub and clean your pond, your filter should clean the water. If you scrub your pond every spring, you basically are starting over with cycling good bacteria.

Reaction score
Yes, there are fish, I have a 6" shubunkin and a 8" koi, and about 8 2" goldfish.
I heard that you shouldn't change more than 30% of water at a time but I had a few fish starting to die and sort of panicked.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, pjnff8! You have some beautiful stonework surrounding your pond. Have you ever considered getting a uv filter to add to your system? They eliminate the green water algae suspended in your pond by running your water slowly passed a uv light bulb - killing the algae and clearing your pond. Do a Google search; uv filters (also referred to as uv clarifiers or uv sterilizers) are available in many price ranges and sizes. Good luck with whatever solution you choose.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, there are fish, I have a 6" shubunkin and a 8" koi, and about 8 2" goldfish.
I heard that you shouldn't change more than 30% of water at a time but I had a few fish starting to die and sort of panicked.

Ahhh I see, understandable, we've all been there, this can be stressful at times.
Ok reds, suggestion is a good one, I don't have a uv light as I have a bog. Plants are going to be a really big help to you. Water plants like reeds or rushes have extensive root systems. You could use your top spill over as a bog and put plants in it, and the plants and pea gravel would filter your water. The plants should be put in the gravel bare root. What this does is, the plants use up all of the neutrients and leaves nothing for the algae to survive. Would this be a possibility?

Reaction score
Oh, just a note on the amount of fish you have right now. At the sizes they are right now you should be fine. But, unfortunately as your 2" goldfish get bigger, your 8" koi is going to grow also and will be a problem. If you didn't have the koi you could keep the rest of your fish as they reach full growth. If you keep the koi, at min I would remove at least 4 of the goldfish, if not more. Just MHO :)

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh, just a note on the amount of fish you have right now. At the sizes they are right now you should be fine. But, unfortunately as your 2" goldfish get bigger, your 8" koi is going to grow also and will be a problem. If you didn't have the koi you could keep the rest of your fish as they reach full growth. If you keep the koi, at min I would remove at least 4 of the goldfish, if not more. Just MHO :)
I totally agree. With growth over time, your fish load is going to be too much for a 150 gallon system. You can always donate some or all of your small goldies to a local pet store. (y)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't overfeed your fish. The algae is growing because there are nutrients in the pond. We try to use as little chemical additives as possible. Usually, you can use nature to remove the algae.

That's actually already quite a big fish load for a 150g pond. My suggestion is to trade up to a bigger pond! Even without overfeeding, that much fish will produce ammonia in normal metabolism, and the ammonia feeds the algae.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
pjnff8
Fixed your pic so all can view it upright:
photo.JPG

That is quite a lot of fish size for that small of a pond. Do you have room to make a bigger pond?
Also if you clean your pond each year like that you are basically starting all over again w/ new pond syndrome, just asking for algae. You have no beneficial bacteria in there to eat up the nutrients and no big plants to eat it up either. But you have lots of nice fish mucking it up w/ pooh. You can try running your pond water through a hose and into a pot w/ quilt batting to clean it up but it will be an ongoing problem. You really need a bigger pond or way less fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry John....................I can turn it upside down if you feel like standing on your head for awhile :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Those are the ponds you buy at Lowes, right? I have that kidney shaped pond in a side yard and it's only 50 gallons, and I'm thinking the smaller part is less than 20. I think you've inadvertently overestimated the gallons you have to work with, and that small size may mean you are already overstocked in the fish department. In my 50g I have only 2 small shubunkin. It's hard to think about re-homing your wee fishy friends, but it will probably help a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Running your water through quilt batting does help a lot.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful info, unfortunately I did lose a small fish, and my large shubunkin. If I were to most of my goldfish back to my aquarium would this solve much of anything? I do have two plants in the pond, a water iris and another water plant. The green is just getting worse as the days go. Should I stop putting the chemicals in? Would it be better if i took put all the plants and rocks, and dig/line the whole area with one small waterfall? I am really concerned at this point on what to do to keep my fish healthy and safe

Reaction score
Would a uv pump solve my problem? If so can someone refer one that would work the best for my pond?

Ask a Question