green water...help!?!

Reaction score
hi

i am new to pond keeping but have been keeping fish in aquariums for about2 years now...
the pond i have is a half wine barrel (about 110 ltr) with 4 comet goldfish, i have perjek weed growing and a water pump, how ever there isnt much in the way of filtration.

the question i have is how can i increase the clarity of the water?
it is very green.

thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could just take some of that white filter floss stuff (polyester stuffing in bags) and put it in a basket/strainer type holder and run your hose from your pump through it and take it out when it gets dirty and rinse it off and put it back and so on and so on if you don't want anything fancy. If you want something better check out the diy section of the forum and look under filters where you can learn to make your own. But I sometimes use that filter floss stuff under my waterfall in a basket and it helps get the fine particles of gunk outta my water quite nicely. You can pick it up at Wal-mart or other variety stores pretty cheap.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard! reduce the fish load and feed once or twice a week at tops, also filter through some floww thike JW is decribing works well if removed and cleaned on a regular basis.

Reaction score
thanks, i wil reduce the fish load further and feeding. i tried adding duckweed as i know it reduces nitrates and may shade out some light to reduce algae, but the fish ate a huge amount by the next day and only 2 plants remain. if i continue adding duck weed will the fish grow tired of it or will there apitites get the best of them and not stop eating it?

thanks for the replies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
tom I think you would have to add quite a lot of duckweed to keep up w/ the fishes appetite for the duckweed. I actually have to keep mine in a big floating ring or in a separate tub to be able to continue having any............those fish are addicted to the weed,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Is it ever possible for duckweed (despite how fast it grows) to out-pace the appetite of our fish? The only duckweed that survived in my pond last year was what floated back in between the rocks around the edges. I'd love to get a good cover of that stuff over my pond, but the little piggies make it impossible!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and hmmm jw I wonder if they get high on duckweed LOL.Why not get a stock tank for your pond tomg would be a little bigger and not to expensive to buy .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn I don't think it's possible w/ my fish either cuz they are weed heads to the max! I think you'd have to get a think mat of it maybe and have it cover 3/4 of the pond before my fish couldn't keep up w/ it but even then I have my doubts. I'll just continue saving it where they can't get at it and dole some out to them now and then.

Sissy I think they must get high on eating it ...............must be as good as nice warm chocolate chip cookies fresh outta the oven are to us,lol!

Ask a Question