Green water :(

Reaction score
'Pea Soup'....Nitrate level is high. Filamentous algae.....Phosphorus level is high. Can't state it any simpler than that.

My Phosphate test is hard to tell .... but it doesn't seem really high ... My nitrate looks at about 20. I included pictures because I'm not good at this color matching. What do you think?

Nitrate.jpg
phos.jpg

Reaction score
Maybe my water isn't exactly pea soup. But its quite green.

When I scooped it out to test, it looked fine, not green.

I will go pick up some more hyacinths. I have a bunch in there already, but the fish eat the roots they don't do well. Same with the water lettuce.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I've never found that there's much point testing for Phosphate while there's algae present. The algae will consume the phosphate so it won't be available for your test.
Once you get your UV back on line and the water is clear again, then test for Phosphate.
You could look at a lanthanum chloride product that will target the phosphate. That's what I use in my indoor aquariums.
Green water isn't that bad, just make sure you have plenty of aeration/water circulation during the evening when the algae turns to consuming oxygen.

Reaction score
I've never found that there's much point testing for Phosphate while there's algae present. The algae will consume the phosphate so it won't be available for your test.
Once you get your UV back on line and the water is clear again, then test for Phosphate.
You could look at a lanthanum chloride product that will target the phosphate. That's what I use in my indoor aquariums.
Green water isn't that bad, just make sure you have plenty of aeration/water circulation during the evening when the algae turns to consuming oxygen.

Thanks for the info. I do have an aerator and the water fall running 24/7. So I should be good. I'm ordering a new aerator with 4 air stones.

Reaction score
Great. I really wouldn't worry too much about the green water.
The biggest danger is at night.

Okay, well the plants are definitely happy. My water lilies are out of control. I swear the fish are looking bigger too. I didn't feed them this morning, I think they are mad at me. LOL! I went out there and they all started coming up looking for food.

Reaction score
I would like to suggest "upgrading" that food. Many of the top ingredients are just "fillers" that will mainly pass through the fish. One koi food brand that seems to be popular is Blackwater Creek. I have not tried it yet but I will come next Spring. I have also been feeding my fish cheap food up until now. Their food is about twice as expensive per pound but a 5 pound bag should last me a good while.

Reaction score
I just noticed the nitrate card and it looks closer to 160 to me. I wish the colors were easier to differentiate.

Yes, its quite difficult. It definitely had an orange color to it, more than a red. You can see where I am holding the test tube against the colors, you can see the red stripe through the test tube, but further up the orange is kind of invisible - I take that to mean its the same color. Its not scientific or anything, but I use that method ...... it might be wrong.

Reaction score
I would like to suggest "upgrading" that food. Many of the top ingredients are just "fillers" that will mainly pass through the fish. One koi food brand that seems to be popular is Blackwater Creek. I have not tried it yet but I will come next Spring. I have also been feeding my fish cheap food up until now. Their food is about twice as expensive per pound but a 5 pound bag should last me a good while.

I need to order some new food. I had been using the tetra food until now.

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...,aps,216&rh=i:aps,k:blackwater+creek+koi+food

I think I will go back to tetra pond sticks.

Reaction score
I need to order some new food. I had been using the tetra food until now.

Is this what you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_17?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=blackwater creek koi food&sprefix=blackwater creek ,aps,216&rh=i:aps,k:blackwater creek koi food

I think I will go back to tetra pond sticks.
Yes that's what I mean. The protein content of the terra pond sticks I googled is below 30%. That's not good. The ingredient list isn't impressive either. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm picking on you. I'm not :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My Phosphate test is hard to tell .... but it doesn't seem really high ... My nitrate looks at about 20. I included pictures because I'm not good at this color matching. What do you think?

View attachment 76985 View attachment 76986

Phosphorus level appears to be acceptable. Nitrate level at 20, given the fact that you have a noticeable presence of planktonic algae, I would consider on the high side. As MitchM stated, Green Water, at low levels, is not really a problem especially for Goldfish. They seem to thrive in these types of environments.
Aeration may help somewhat by supplying additional Oxygen to the bacteria that compete with planktonic algae for food.
Bottom line is (and I know that you don't want to hear this) is that you have more biological demand in your pond than 2200 gallons can naturally accommodate. This is called Eutrophication. Until this is rectified, it will always be an issue.

Reaction score
Yes, its quite difficult. It definitely had an orange color to it, more than a red. You can see where I am holding the test tube against the colors, you can see the red stripe through the test tube, but further up the orange is kind of invisible - I take that to mean its the same color. Its not scientific or anything, but I use that method ...... it might be wrong.
Oh I like that idea. Good call.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I recommend using Laguna Liquid Pond Peat for water quality issues. This stuff is really the best and when I had pea green water in the little tiny 80 gallon pond out front, it worked very well. I dumped in lots and you really cannot overdose cause it is natural. It will dye the water very dark for a while, but when the water clears, you should have Crystal Clear water!
Matter of fact it is good for the fish too cause it is a natural fungicide
IMAG0235.jpg
and very very good for the plants as well!

Ask a Question