Green water :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would be very cautious in using any peat product in a pond. Peat is naturally acidic (ph~4.5) and will lower the pond's pH and KH. If these parameter values are already low, major problems can develop.

Reaction score
Phosphorus level appears to be acceptable. Nitrate level at 20, given the fact that you have a noticeable presence of planktonic algae, I would consider on the high side. As MitchM stated, Green Water, at low levels, is not really a problem especially for Goldfish. They seem to thrive in these types of environments.
Aeration may help somewhat by supplying additional Oxygen to the bacteria that compete with planktonic algae for food.
Bottom line is (and I know that you don't want to hear this) is that you have more biological demand in your pond than 2200 gallons can naturally accommodate. This is called Eutrophication. Until this is rectified, it will always be an issue.

Is this your way of saying I need a bigger pond???? Haha!

Question: If I make a smaller pond on a hill (no fish, just water lettuce and water hyacinth), and I have the pond water circulate to this smaller pond (maybe 200gall?), then down a stream back to the bigger pond. Does that help? Adding an extra 200 gall.? I could go a bit bigger.

Problem is, my filter is not rated for a larger pond. Allegedly, the pressure filter and pump will handle 2100gall and the waterfall filter will handle 1000 in bio filtration. I have a second pump that will move 1900gall, if I need to use it.

Thoughts?

I don't get it. My pond is larger than my friends, she has more and bigger koi, yet she doesn't seem to have the problems I have. Her pond is better shaded.

Reaction score
You can't exactly go by the gallons of water rating on the filter. Filters should really be based on fish load. Look at it this way... Are you trying to filter out the water, or the fish poop? How does the filter sticker even know if you have 1 fish or 20? It doesn't know :) Your friend may have more filtration. Plus her pond has probably been established longer? I believe your pond is about 4 months old? It's still trying to find that "balance".

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is this your way of saying I need a bigger pond???? Haha!

Question: If I make a smaller pond on a hill (no fish, just water lettuce and water hyacinth), and I have the pond water circulate to this smaller pond (maybe 200gall?), then down a stream back to the bigger pond. Does that help? Adding an extra 200 gall.? I could go a bit bigger.

Problem is, my filter is not rated for a larger pond. Allegedly, the pressure filter and pump will handle 2100gall and the waterfall filter will handle 1000 in bio filtration. I have a second pump that will move 1900gall, if I need to use it.

Thoughts?

I don't get it. My pond is larger than my friends, she has more and bigger koi, yet she doesn't seem to have the problems I have. Her pond is better shaded.

Your idea of adding another, smaller pond may be the ideal solution. With the two (2) ponds connected, for water quality purposes, it is one pond. Make the additional pond as large as you can, up to about 800 gallons. You already have enough available biofiltration between the pressure filter and the waterfall filter. You will need to utilize the second pump. One pump would feed the waterfall and one pump would feed the pressure filter.
Shade is a factor and could contribute to the difference between yours and you neighbor's ponds. What are her ponds water test results? How much older is her pond than yours? Does she have more total fish? What are the other differences?

Reaction score
You can't exactly go by the gallons of water rating on the filter. Filters should really be based on fish load. Look at it this way... Are you trying to filter out the water, or the fish poop? How does the filter sticker even know if you have 1 fish or 20? It doesn't know :) Your friend may have more filtration. Plus her pond has probably been established longer? I believe your pond is about 4 months old? It's still trying to find that "balance".

Okay, good way of looking at the bio filter thing. Point noted.

My pond is 11 months old. So still 'maturing' I guess. Her pond is 9 years.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

That is one of my all time biggest gripes. Manufacturer's stating that a filter is designed to handle a pond of X number of gallons. What is in those X number of gallons..no fish, a couple of goldfish, 20 adult Koi? I absolutely agree that biofilters need to be rated according to fish load.
Also a good point about the 'balance'. It usually takes one full year for the entire system to reach any semblance of equilibrium. Tossing 'snake oil' into the pond in the meantime will only extend the time needed to achieve that natural 'balance'.

Reaction score
Your idea of adding another, smaller pond may be the ideal solution. With the two (2) ponds connected, for water quality purposes, it is one pond. Make the additional pond as large as you can, up to about 800 gallons. You already have enough available biofiltration between the pressure filter and the waterfall filter. You will need to utilize the second pump. One pump would feed the waterfall and one pump would feed the pressure filter.
Shade is a factor and could contribute to the difference between yours and you neighbor's ponds. What are her ponds water test results? How much older is her pond than yours? Does she have more total fish? What are the other differences?

Okay, I'm going with this new idea. We had been tossing it around for a while and now it seems like the way to go. I've netted the main pond with a fine net, so the birds, bees, dragon flies can't visit it any more, This new pond will be fish free and available for the birds and bugs to visit.

She doesn't test her pond, so it could be a ticking time bomb (which I suspect it is because she is constantly buying fish). I know it has to be seriously overloaded. And I don't think her filtration is as good as mine, but its very clear. Her is 9years old.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I'm glad we came up with a good solution, I wouldn't want to part with any fish. I will make the 'expansion' as big as I can.

Luckily I use well water in the pond, so I can make water changes often to ensure the fish are safe until my expansion is in place.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Just curious. Why would you want to keep the birds, bees and dragonflies away from your pond? Insect larvae and nymphs contribute their part to an balanced aquatic eco-system.

Reaction score
Just curious. Why would you want to keep the birds, bees and dragonflies away from your pond? Insect larvae and nymphs contribute their part to an balanced aquatic eco-system.

I don't want to keep them away. I love them. Unfortunately I live very near to the ocean, so my birds include egrets and green herons :( They have eaten about $600 worth of my fish. I buy small koi, goldfish and I have some tropical fish in there too - the green heron was killing me! And just a few days ago a huge white egret showed up and had a snack (I had taken the net off to clean the pond. He now checks back on a daily basis). I love seeing him, but I can't let him eat my fishes.

The first net I bought had a wider weave, but snakes and wild iguanas were getting tangled and dying in the wider weaved net. So I bought a small weaved net but it blocks out all the bug and nice birds. So this new small pond will be nice for the birds, bugs and probably the nasty iguanas (which are probably the main problem in the pond, they poop in there and I'm talking very large poop).

egret 2.jpg
Iggie1.jpg

Reaction score
Before I netted the pond, they loved it out there. I have a fruit tree that hangs over the pond, so they would sun on the tree, eat fruit, poop in the pond from the branches, come down for a drink and then take a swim to cool off. I saw one sunning on my water lily leaf!

It sounds cool, but my deck is covered in iguana poop. So gross!

Ask a Question