Green Water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think the combination of the liquid algaecide from aquascape and then the Green Clean granular was just too much for them. If it were me, I would completely drain and fill to make sure all the algaecide was flushed out of the system.

Good luck, Jim.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think the combination of the liquid algaecide from aquascape and then the Green Clean granular was just too much for them. If it were me, I would completely drain and fill to make sure all the algaecide was flushed out of the system.

Good luck, Jim.
@Orangecrush the Tetra AlgoRem product is safe for both humans oand fish as well as pond plants and are not as sissy descibes as suiside in a bottle .
When using any treatment on the pond it is also advisable that you treat early morning before the heat of the day , you must also add to the pond extra airstones again this goes for any treatment that you use .
Never put any chemical directly into your filters as this has the effect of killing them off

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Orangecrush the Tetra AlgoRem product is safe for both humans oand fish as well as pond plants and are not as sissy descibes as suiside in a bottle .
When using any treatment on the pond it is also advisable that you treat early morning before the heat of the day , you must also add to the pond extra airstones again this goes for any treatment that you use .
Never put any chemical directly into your filters as this has the effect of killing them off

Dave
I agree with Dave, algaecides are not suicide in a bottle if used correctly. Any chemical, even if for human consumption can be toxic if used incorrectly. Many people use the GLUB method of measuring chemicals, and I have seen harmful and deadly mistakes made because of improper dosing or handling. Hell I've done it myself and I've had chemical training. Also many people miscalculate their pond/tank volume and overdose.Correct application of the chemicals are also important.

Jim.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You may want to read the MSDS sheet on this product. Plainly states that it is toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

https://www.menards.com/msds/106971_001.pdf
Reeading the instructions on the bottle Meyer it plainly states that it is harmless to fish, harmless to plants but is not suitable for sturgeon , it acts by binding suspended algaetogther causing it to clum so it can be easily beremoved , using it whenever your water begins to turn green to help keep your pond water crystal clear and more importantly healthy .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Dave, algaecides are not suicide in a bottle if used correctly. Any chemical, even if for human consumption can be toxic if used incorrectly. Many people use the GLUB method of measuring chemicals, and I have seen harmful and deadly mistakes made because of improper dosing or handling. Hell I've done it myself and I've had chemical training. Also many people miscalculate their pond/tank volume and overdose.Correct application of the chemicals are also important.

Jim.
Jim I am totally in agreement with your post and would suggest to anyone building a pond to fill the pond by use of a water meter to give the pond owner the exact gallonage to aviod improper dosing :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardena-81...8&qid=1465699040&sr=8-1&keywords=water+meters

One should also wear protective gloves when handling any chemical along with a pair of protective glasses to avoid splashing both of which I keep in my koi first aid kit .
The gloves should be responsibly disposed of and any unused chemicals more than six months old should also be disposed of in a suitable manner [ I drop mine to my local chemists wh dispose of them correctly], they should not be poured down the sink or toilet ......

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reeading the instructions on the bottle Meyer it plainly states that it is harmless to fish, harmless to plants but is not suitable for sturgeon , it acts by binding suspended algaetogther causing it to clum so it can be easily beremoved , using it whenever your water begins to turn green to help keep your pond water crystal clear and more importantly healthy .
Dave

You are welcome to trust pond product labels, but for me I am going to find a MSDS sheet on a product before I use it. The MSDS is also supplied by the manufacturer but is required, by law, to be accurate, Labels are not.
The MSDS on this product plainly states that it is toxic to aquatic life.
You might be interested in the only customer review that Amazon.com U.S. has received on this product.
http://www.amazon.com/1l-Tetra-Algorem-Pond-Treatment/product-reviews/B003ZGB5F0
Mixed reviews on Amazon.com U.K.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tetra-Algorem-Green-Water-Litre/product-reviews/B003ZGB5F0

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is not for Tetra Alogrem Meyer but another Tetra product

Dave
You are correct, I just caught the error. It is curious that this is the only MSDS sheet that I could find on any of Tetra's algae control products. I have contacted them by email requesting the MSDS sheet on Algorem. By law, they are required to produce it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I prefer koi clay .Turn the pumps off put it in and it clarify's the water by binding all the fine stuff together and when pumps go back on it all goes into the filter .You can also net some of it out .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You are correct, I just caught the error. It is curious that this is the only MSDS sheet that I could find on any of Tetra's algae control products. I have contacted them by email requesting the MSDS sheet on Algorem. By law, they are required to produce it.
I'm wondering Meyer if AlgoRem is as of yet available in the US, or my friend I say this as there are certain treatments such as dimlin powder that are not available due to EU law is perhaps banned in the US.
I used to be able to buy some very good Japanese products prior to the EU banning the sale of them , one was a liver tonic for koi called Billion which you mixed in with your pellets some high class Japanese foods again banned by EU directives much to the loss of koi keepers here in the UK and Europe all because of certain E numbers etc which to me is darn right stupid as it is not for human consumption....

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think I prefer koi clay .Turn the pumps off put it in and it clarify's the water by binding all the fine stuff together and when pumps go back on it all goes into the filter .You can also net some of it out .

AlgoRem works in the same way sissy however another thing you could try is gypsum which again does the same thing ...

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm wondering Meyer if AlgoRem is as of yet available in the US, or my friend I say this as there are certain treatments such as dimlin powder that are not available due to EU law is perhaps banned in the US.
I used to be able to buy some very good Japanese products prior to the EU banning the sale of them , one was a liver tonic for koi called Billion which you mixed in with your pellets some high class Japanese foods again banned by EU directives much to the loss of koi keepers here in the UK and Europe all because of certain E numbers etc which to me is darn right stupid as it is not for human consumption....

Dave

Yes, it is available here in the U.S.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is with gypsum that you never know about impurities in it in the manufacture of it .But then again with all the recalls here on food products it makes you wonder about anything .But my uv and aerator and the koi clay has always worked for me .Plus I over winter my plants in the basement and this year was a really strange spring .Early heat and then all the frosts we had late and had to keep bringing them in .

Ask a Question