Greetings from Indonesia

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Beautiful. Best tower filter ever! No need to add a biofilter as long as that waterfall is on all the time.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thanks JohnHuff. I wondered about that, but I thought that all the gunk would wash back to the pond again.
You need a prefilter that filters the water before it gets to the wall. Once that wall is coated in biofilm, it should be OK. Also, read my reply to you regarding filter materials if you want to build a filter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very beautiful wall of stone w/ pond. You did a great job on building it all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! Very nice and love the stone work also. We all love rocks here. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Brovic, It sounds like an interesting idea to use a brick wall as a base. I am in construction and have built walls with fake stone and it is way harder than people think to make these things look good. We did one for a corporate client and had about 20 bosses telling us where to put every stone for a while but in the end it came out very good. Wrapping them around a corner can be really challenging too and we have learned to miter the corners. I think everything looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
Brovic, It sounds like an interesting idea to use a brick wall as a base. I am in construction and have built walls with fake stone and it is way harder than people think to make these things look good. We did one for a corporate client and had about 20 bosses telling us where to put every stone for a while but in the end it came out very good. Wrapping them around a corner can be really challenging too and we have learned to miter the corners. I think everything looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again, CometKeith. I must confess to spending some time as a builder, many years ago. I lived in South Wales (UK) for a time and there was an abundance of local stone - many with fossils. I used to build random stone fireplaces, porches and feature walls - then covered them with clear polyurethane which really high-lighted the natural colours and the fossils.
I still have photos somewhere but they would be 35mm slides.

Reaction score
Welcome! Very nice and love the stone work also. We all love rocks here. :)

Thank you, haver79. The trick is to make it look natural and random whereas, when you choose a particular stone, you have already rejected 20 or 30 others for that position. It's a long and pains-taking process - but well worth the effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, I could tell you had talent!! We will have to start a new thread one day on fake stone walls.... I have a few pictures I can add. We built a couple semi custom houses a few years back with river rock from Wisconsin that came out really nice and we recently wrapped a fireplace with thin strips of different length and color marble and it came out really cool. We are now doing a lot of floor and wall tile work with pebbles in them and also tile that looks like wood and these are both really popular.

Reaction score
Hello again and thank you for all your messages. I apologise for my tardy response but, whilst living in Indonesia is Paradise itself, it is fraught with problems particularly with power outages and internet outages - which means that sometimes I cannot communicate with the outside world. That notwithstanding, I have been busy editing photos of the pond and I know hope to post some at the end of this message (if I can figure out how!). I am also working on the dimensions of my itsy-bitsy pond - trying to convert metres and centimetres into feet and inches and then litres into gallons. To addy1, Mmathis, JW, Comet Keith, Becky and Fishylove - Thank you for you welcome. To nepen - Thank you also. The Indonesian peoples are a joy to be with (my Wife is Indonesian and I have never been happier). To Guy - Terima Kasih. Saya baik-baik. I have lived in Ea st Java for 4 years and I was in Bali for 2 years before that. I teach English to Senior High School students. OK, now I try the photos. Thanks everybody.

Welcome! Hope you get your filter media questions answered! Your waterfall in stunning!!!!

Reaction score
Welcome! Hope you get your filter media questions answered! Your waterfall in stunning!!!!
Thank you, Lisaebetten. I am rather proud of it and I think I'm almost there with the filter problem. For a long time you were the only respondent - then you started an avalanche, lol.

Reaction score
Yep, I could tell you had talent!! We will have to start a new thread one day on fake stone walls.... I have a few pictures I can add. We built a couple semi custom houses a few years back with river rock from Wisconsin that came out really nice and we recently wrapped a fireplace with thin strips of different length and color marble and it came out really cool. We are now doing a lot of floor and wall tile work with pebbles in them and also tile that looks like wood and these are both really popular.

Thanks again. Ha-ha, that would be interesting! It's amazing what one can accomplish using imaginative materials. Alas, my working days are behind me now - but I can still dream!

Ask a Question