cuties! I have seen a few fry under the lily leafs

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's been 2 weeks since the fish spawned. I spent all morning yesterday trying to separate the tadpoles from the fry. This morning I get up, look out the window and the pond is half empty! The duck wee clogged the screened spillway. I rush down to see whats up and the fish are spawning again. Didn't expect that to happen so soon. Now more eggs to take care of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yikes mrsclem I hope everything was ok , how were your ammonia lecels with koi it normally shoots up after spawning , is there any way to rid yourself of the duck weed ?

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dave- haven't tested for ammonia yet as I had to add back the water from the overflow, lost over half! I wasn't thinking when I put the duck weed in the section with the fry in it. I put a floating barrier up to keep the duck weed away from the screen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had my pond lose a lot of water from one lotus leaf, it blocked the ponds exit the day after we had left for a month trip. Luckily I have a great neighbor she walked the ponds with me watching her on camera until we figured out what had happened. And fixed it for me.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, it's been 6 weeks since the first spawn. The fry are now over an inch long and are really starting to develop their colors. The fry from the 2nd spawn 2 weeks later are still very small but most seem to be a yellow color. Now these fish just won't quit!! They are spawning for the 3rd time! This batch of eggs is on its own. I just got the stock tank that had the 2nd batch in it emptied and the fry moved to a screened in floating cage.
The second pond has yet to spawn but it is overstocked so just as well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Must be the year, while working the lilies I saw fry from 1-2 inches down to 1/4 inch. All great mixed colors, more fry than I have ever gotten before. Maybe it is the aracharnis in the pond, gave the eggs and fry a place to hide.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did a water change in both ponds yesterday and then we had a huge set of storms roll thru last night so guess what? Spawn #5 for pond one. I guess they are trying to replace all the fish we lost. At this rate I will be selling fry by the dozen! The other pond still hasn't spawned but the girls are getting fat.
I thought I had moved all the fry to holding tanks till I moved a couple of plants. There are still dozens in the pond and they are almost impossible to catch.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
almost? they are impossible to catch, I have tried more than once. Our big pond, forget it! the 1000 gallon stock tank, dear honey and I tried for over an hour to catch one fish, never happened.

Mine are chasing again! I quit feeding any food at all so they would maybe eat up the eggs.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Week 7 and 7 spawns later! Fry from 1st batch are getting big, especially the ones that managed to hide out in the big pond. I refitted one of my fish traps with screen material in the hopes of catching more of the little ones and getting them to a holding tank so they are easier to catch. I have caught 3 large fry in the last couple of days, all the same color and twice as large as the others. I'm hoping for acouple of chagoi. The color on this one is more golden than it shows. 7 weeks old and 3"!
024.jpg
028.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Day 3 of downsizing on the big pond and down to 4 fish with 2 already waiting to be picked up. I had no idea how many fish we had in that pond. I found fish I had never seen! Even more shocked to see the inches of fish removed. 15 koi- 217"! I was asking for major trouble but we will be getting new homes for several more next year. SO hard to decide who to keep and who to let go. This pond had not spawned in 3 years but as soon as I put my fish trap in, they decided to repopulate. I sent several customers home with not only fish but eggs as they were still spawning in the holding tanks. Starting to go thru the fry from this year and decide who to keep and grow out and who to cull. Lost a lot due to frogs, tadpoles and a 3 1/2" tobie! Going to try to get pics of the little guys.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I want my fishes eggs eaten up, they are non stop spawning this summer, but sure have some beautiful fry coming out of it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
012.jpg
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
This is our 2nd year of raising fry from our ginrin pond. The first spawn was early May and there were 12 spawns in all. We lost a lot of fry from various things but as of last week, we have 110 ginrin fry ranging from Toby, our 4:" monster to 2". Loots of colors and patterns. Not sure how we are going to winter them over yet. There are still about a dozen in the pond we missed as well as a 2nd tank with fry from the other pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
too cute! I especially like the little black one with the white face in the first picture ( I think it's the same one in the last picture too) For some reason I have always like white faced critters be it horses, guinea pigs, fish, bunnies, cats, you name it.

Ask a Question