Guess I won't be downsizing!

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by mrsclem, May 18, 2015.

1. mrsclem

mrsclem mrsclem

Well, it's been 6 weeks since the first spawn. The fry are now over an inch long and are really starting to develop their colors. The fry from the 2nd spawn 2 weeks later are still very small but most seem to be a yellow color. Now these fish just won't quit!! They are spawning for the 3rd time! This batch of eggs is on its own. I just got the stock tank that had the 2nd batch in it emptied and the fry moved to a screened in floating cage.
    The second pond has yet to spawn but it is overstocked so just as well.

mrsclem, Jun 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. mrsclem

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Must be the year, while working the lilies I saw fry from 1-2 inches down to 1/4 inch. All great mixed colors, more fry than I have ever gotten before. Maybe it is the aracharnis in the pond, gave the eggs and fry a place to hide.

addy1, Jun 16, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. mrsclem

mrsclem mrsclem

I did a water change in both ponds yesterday and then we had a huge set of storms roll thru last night so guess what? Spawn #5 for pond one. I guess they are trying to replace all the fish we lost. At this rate I will be selling fry by the dozen! The other pond still hasn't spawned but the girls are getting fat.
    I thought I had moved all the fry to holding tanks till I moved a couple of plants. There are still dozens in the pond and they are almost impossible to catch.

mrsclem, Jun 24, 2015
  4. mrsclem

almost? they are impossible to catch, I have tried more than once. Our big pond, forget it! the 1000 gallon stock tank, dear honey and I tried for over an hour to catch one fish, never happened.

Mine are chasing again! I quit feeding any food at all so they would maybe eat up the eggs.

addy1, Jun 24, 2015
  5. mrsclem

mrsclem mrsclem

Week 7 and 7 spawns later! Fry from 1st batch are getting big, especially the ones that managed to hide out in the big pond. I refitted one of my fish traps with screen material in the hopes of catching more of the little ones and getting them to a holding tank so they are easier to catch. I have caught 3 large fry in the last couple of days, all the same color and twice as large as the others. I'm hoping for acouple of chagoi. The color on this one is more golden than it shows. 7 weeks old and 3"! 024.jpg 028.jpg

mrsclem, Jun 28, 2015
    haver79 likes this.
  6. mrsclem

nice!

addy1, Jun 29, 2015
  7. mrsclem

mrsclem mrsclem

Day 3 of downsizing on the big pond and down to 4 fish with 2 already waiting to be picked up. I had no idea how many fish we had in that pond. I found fish I had never seen! Even more shocked to see the inches of fish removed. 15 koi- 217"! I was asking for major trouble but we will be getting new homes for several more next year. SO hard to decide who to keep and who to let go. This pond had not spawned in 3 years but as soon as I put my fish trap in, they decided to repopulate. I sent several customers home with not only fish but eggs as they were still spawning in the holding tanks. Starting to go thru the fry from this year and decide who to keep and grow out and who to cull. Lost a lot due to frogs, tadpoles and a 3 1/2" tobie! Going to try to get pics of the little guys.

mrsclem, Jul 10, 2015
    Mmathis likes this.
  8. mrsclem

I want my fishes eggs eaten up, they are non stop spawning this summer, but sure have some beautiful fry coming out of it.

addy1, Jul 11, 2015
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  9. mrsclem

mrsclem mrsclem

012.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg This is our 2nd year of raising fry from our ginrin pond. The first spawn was early May and there were 12 spawns in all. We lost a lot of fry from various things but as of last week, we have 110 ginrin fry ranging from Toby, our 4:" monster to 2". Loots of colors and patterns. Not sure how we are going to winter them over yet. There are still about a dozen in the pond we missed as well as a 2nd tank with fry from the other pond.

mrsclem, Aug 13, 2015
    haver79 and bettasngoldfish like this.
  10. mrsclem

bettasngoldfish Maria

too cute! I especially like the little black one with the white face in the first picture ( I think it's the same one in the last picture too) For some reason I have always like white faced critters be it horses, guinea pigs, fish, bunnies, cats, you name it.

bettasngoldfish, Aug 13, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question