Guppy mating preference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi all,
My guppies are doing well and had many babies but when I went to Thailand for ~3 weeks most of my newer babies got eaten and I only have about 14 + original 8 adult left which is way more than enough J

So now there are about 13 female – 3 adults female and the rest are from 1-3 months old. The thing is, even though I have 3 female adults, all the adult males only like just two females.

One of the female is half black and quite thin and has not drop any fry since the first batch she dropped when I got her (2.5 months now). She is pretty long and small, if not for her gravid spot I would’ve thought she’s a male. She is always alone and nobody bothers her at all. No chasing, no interest, and definitely not pregnant.

I always though guppies reproduce all the time and not choosy. If I want her to get pregnant, what do you suggest I do?

The other two females are a lot bigger and always pregnant, one (the bigger one) got more chased than the other, has it to do with size?

My original adults are getting old I think, I lost one when I was away and one just dropped dead yesterday without any sign (water all good, no new fish added for 2.5 months now)

Still in love with the guppies but really wish they grow their tail and colors faster!

Anya

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When we kept guppies and other tropical fish that bred we found that doing things the natural way i;e survival of the fittest gave us the best fish

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I guess that mean I shouldnt force the male to like the female they dont care for :)

I guess you are right, Dave :) I just thought it's odd that no male even care about this female.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You wouldnt force them to do anything that they didnt want to Nepan my friend lol it may well be that this female is too old or your ratio of male to female is wrong ,

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol I was thinking along the line of putting that female and a male together for a while :)

I have more adult male than adult female so I was hoping for all the female to get attention but the only one that got attention is my oldest female :)and the biggest) in a few month when the babies grow I'll have more female than male. I think the fish just like big mama :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Maybe some lipstick and mascara would help your wallflower? Or some beer for the males! :beer: :biggrin:
John

Ask a Question