Gambusia or Guppy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
In addition to my large, filtered pond, I have a smaller pool that I am using as a lotus planter. It is probably 60 gallons. It is made from a rigid pre-formed pond liner, set down into the ground. Since it has shelves on the sides, I'm planning to plant some marginals to help clean the water. I'm hoping being set into the ground and having some plants to shade the water will help keep the temperature moderate here in the south.

I can use mosquito dunks, but I thought it would be fun to have some fish in there. I know mosquitofish are bad for my pond proper, since they will take over the universe. I wouldn't mind having them in the lotus pool. It will be accessible to raccoons and stuff, so I imagine the population will be controlled a bit.

However -- if mosquitofish are a relative of the guppy, would a guppy do as good of a job? Mosquitofish online are expensive, and I don't think they are available at our pet store.

I could go with a betta, but I would feel bad about one of them getting eaten. But -- maybe they are better suited to that environment?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I did a little looking, and I read that Guppies are known to eat several times their weight in mosquito larva every day. In fact, guppies in particular have been introduced to various parts of the world to try and help control mosquitos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, there ya go!
The only filtration will be natural -- as in plants. But used to have guppies in a bowl, so I guess they will be ok.
Thanks!!!!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Guppies like their water to be between 75-82 degrees F. They can be OK a little lower or higher with 78 degrees an ideal temperature.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a note on the comment about bettas. They are tropical fish and should be kept in water at least 72 degrees (preferably warmer) and they are no where as cheap as feeder guppies. Also you would have to either get one male or a bunch of females. You shouldn't keep more than one male in the same tank nor should you have a male with females (unless you are actively breeding them)

I vote for the guppies but be warned they will multiply ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I was gonna do guppies but since my temperatures don't go to the 70s till much later in the summer I think I'm gonna do zebra danios in my bog. I got a small level of water over the pea gravel that is a magnet to mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, guppies die around 62 degrees. I've kept them with other fish at 68 with no problem (other than too many guppies real soon).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was gonna do guppies but since my temperatures don't go to the 70s till much later in the summer I think I'm gonna do zebra danios in my bog. I got a small level of water over the pea gravel that is a magnet to mosquitoes.

I'm not familiar with zebra danios so can't comment on them.

I have some rosy red minnows and I like them. They are fairly small, active and can live in the same conditions as the goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Just a note on the comment about bettas. They are tropical fish and should be kept in water at least 72 degrees (preferably warmer) and they are no where as cheap as feeder guppies. Also you would have to either get one male or a bunch of females. You shouldn't keep more than one male in the same tank nor should you have a male with females (unless you are actively breeding them)

I vote for the guppies but be warned they will multiply ;)
The only reason the betta occurred to me was their ability to breathe air. The lotus "pond" won't have aeration. But I will have a bunch of other plants in it, so hopefully that will help with oxygen.
I think it will be guppies!
I might even go ahead and get them and let them live in a bowl in the house till the temps are warm enough outside. Today it was 88 -- TOO HOT (for me) -- so I think Spring is on the way!
Thanks to all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have some guppies in a large bowl on my countertop. I planted a good sized anacharis in with them for oxygen. I figured I'd get them and enjoy them indoors while we wait for the temperatures to get and stay warm. They seem pretty happy in there. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
What will you do in the winter Can you pull them out and bring them inside?
Yes. And down here in the south, winter takes it's time getting here and doesn't last long. It will be no problem. :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm down here with ya! :)
I was curious since I have a similar small pond and was contemplating what to do with it this weekend. I can't bring them in during the winter though so I'll have to leave it as is.

Ask a Question