Harsh waterfall that I would like to soften or quiet down a touch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Our waterfall turned out to be louder\harsher then expected. Can someone verify that I am on the correct track to reduce and soften the sound.

One can place rocks or other objects to break the force of the water dropping through the cascade from a two foot drop into the main pool to say a foot or less/

Turn down the variable pump as low as it can go and still push the amount of water needed.

Are there any other ways? For example should the main pool be deeper so the water falling into it doesn't break as hard as it does in a shallow pool ?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
If you have a space behind the falls it will increase the sound. You could place a slad rock behind the falls and adjust it forward untill you get the sound required. Have the rock on a slant and have the water land on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a space behind the falls it will increase the sound. You could place a slad rock behind the falls and adjust it forward untill you get the sound required. Have the rock on a slant and have the water land on it.
Thank you. What is a slad rock? I haven't heard that term before? Slanted? Slab? THanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1632850039741.gif

1632851109671.gif
@mozzarella

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome mozzarella! How wide are your falls just as the water falls over the weir? How far does the water fall?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the water falls into the water that has depth it's usually a deeper sound and if the area is shallow it is usually just loud. Having the water fall onto a slanted rock the water will create a cut through the surface which basically kills the sound of the water as it is not slamming onto the surface but is tucking under the surface. you can drastically reduce the sound this way

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all. Im going to give it a shot. If i cant slant the rocks (there are lights in those nooks) , what about breaking the fall with a rock. Picture on the left is ideal from what it sounds like, however the picture on the right should help a touch?

Screenshot at Sep 29 10-12-35.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you slow your pump down and it's still too loud, maybe you can divert some of the water before it goes to the falls. Less volume would help...maybe...

By diverting I mean add a wye fitting after your pump. Have one side of the wye go to the falls and the other directly back to the pond. Install a ball valve on each branch of the wye. This way you can fine tune how much water goes where.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Do you have a stream and a waterfall? You could place larger rocks in the stream to slow down the force of the waterfall.

Ask a Question