Harvey's first pond build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been researching about ponds for about 2 years now. I do have a general understanding about what I want to do but I've come to the experts to help with some details and maybe get some better ideas along the way. My plan was to build a smaller pond but after starting a complete renovation on my 16*32 inground pool, I've somehow convinced the girls (wife and 2 daughters) to turn this project into a swimming pond.
Here's the idea.... I'd like raise most of the pool depth to 6 feet with a slightly deeper part to allow for a jumping area for the kids. Bring shelves out from existing hole to create a more natural rounding curve to the pond. My first issue that I have with this is the pump needed to filter this amount of water. I did a rough estimate of about 25,000 gallons. I understand a pump to get the flow needed for this to work will have a decent up front cost. But what should I expect with the jump in my electric bill every month. I don't want this to turn into a money pit to run.
Another thing I'm trying to iron out is what I will do for the bottom. From what I understand gravel and rocks look great but make the pond hard to maintain. But the girls don't like the idea of "slimmy rubber" on their feet. I was thinking of sort of a hybrid situation where I use larger river stone and mortar between the joints sloping everything towards a bottom drain.
Well guess this is my introduction to this form. I want to thank everyone that helps me on my journey creating this dream.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Have you ever heard of a bog filter? You have plenty of room to turn part of your pond area into a nice bog! Check out some other threads on here, especially anything by @addy1 — Addy is our bog-queen!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pictures pictures and more pictures show the area you want to work then we can go from there

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591809536601.gif
@Itsharv

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a link https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/some-very-impressive-pond-builds.26353/page-3 that @GBBUDD posted. These
are some large pond builds from professional pond builders that are great looking and functional. Either way swim pond or not I would not build it without putting a large upflow bog on it using a centipede snorkel and aqua blocks under the stone.
Thanks I think I saw all of them but it's nice to have them in one place I'm going to watch your whole list again

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Have you ever heard of a bog filter? You have plenty of room to turn part of your pond area into a nice bog! Check out some other threads on here, especially anything by @addy1 — Addy is our bog-queen!
Now I did it was a great read. Definitely was going to add a bog. I'll go over it again and come up with a design to post when I get a better idea of what I want.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

With my set up I turn over the water about once every 2 hours, but the bog, which is big, keeps the pond in great shape.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is what I have to work with. I wish I didn't have the hole for the pool so I could carve it out of virgin ground.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That can turn out being a very nice pond! Advantage, hole dug, edge above ground level, easy to hide the edges (start collecting rocks, plants)
The outside hole can be a bog waterfalling into the pond, a water fall at one of the ends, so you can see it from the house.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That can turn out being a very nice pond! Advantage, hole dug, edge above ground level, easy to hide the edges (start collecting rocks, plants)
The outside hole can be a bog waterfalling into the pond, a water fall at one of the ends, so you can see it from the house.

Ask a Question