Frothy pond...help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm struggling with a lot of froth on my pond. I clear it off but it comes back. I've checked my ph etc and all reasonably good apart from phosphate a little high. Please see video ..

PJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm struggling with a lot of froth on my pond. I clear it off but it comes back. I've checked my ph etc and all reasonably good apart from phosphate a little high. Please see video ..
Not helpful for you but I am to seeing foam on my pond it tends to nearly dissapear during the day but reappears overnight. I have done a 10% water change added a pond bomb and Evolution Aqua Pure Pond Balls, not done anything different in feeding the fish and they feed and swim around happily enough
The pond is over 10 years old the water is clear and it's the first time I have had this problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This time of year I generally chalk up foamy water to spawning (fish, toads, frogs) Otherwise, make sure you're not overfeeding the fish & that there isn't a lot of debris in the pond, which can contribute to the problem.

Reaction score
I think the foam is a sign of dissolved organic compounds (DOCs) in the water. It disappears/reduces in the day from the reduction of humidity in the air. I think it needs to to very high degree to be of any significant problem in a pond, but do poke around on the www for pond DOCs to see their cause and if or how you reduce them to get rid of the foam.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pretty classic sign of DOCs - make sure you're cleaning out an excess organic debris from the pond. I notice you have no plants in your pond - is this a dedicated koi pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get this but nothing in the bottom of the pond as I have my cleaning lines down there and I get froth in my lily pond because of frog spawn but as soon as the tadpoles show up it goes away .I neted the bottom of my pond this morning and nothing down there .Did my water test and added more crushed oyster shells .I also added some water hyacinth to the waterfall pond from my stock tank .I only put 2 in for now because I was to lazy and hot to walk back out to the stock tank by the sheds .
104_0470.JPG

Reaction score
reading up a big on DOCs.... adding plants will not help reduce the foam at this point. The organic matter hasn't been broken down enough for plants to uptake any nutrients from them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same and in my pond is all Hanky Panky going on free for all :p This morning I had to break up an orgy of fish attempting to spawn and had to throw a bucket of cold water and run the fish down. No sex please, my fish are British :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question