Have all the lights at bottom of Pond???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I’m considering rearranging all my lights and setting them at the bottom. It’s hard to make them look nice and then have them stay in place without shifting. I was wondering if anyone has done that? I think it would just glow from the bottom up and still look nice. I have around 250 gal 3 feet deep pond.
C1791E46-3E57-4B79-A55C-7A4280B16C3F_1_105_c.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I’m considering rearranging all my lights and setting them at the bottom. It’s hard to make them look nice and then have them stay in place without shifting. I was wondering if anyone has done that? I think it would just glow from the bottom up and still look nice. I have around 250 gal 3 feet deep pond. View attachment 156577
Never remember seeing something like that but why not give it a try. If you don't like it just drag them back up. Do lights underwater get covered w/algae or muck when laying on the bottom? Mine were under water along the top edge but they stopped working so I took them out and plugged them in and they started working so I just have them around the top of the pond outside on the rocks pointing downwards into the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it would be annoying when scooping the bottom to have to avoid the lights. But if you could anchor them under a few rocks maybe? I find myself disturbing the lights no matter where they are to be honest.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine don't get in my way. They just sit nestled in between the rocks and some rocks hide the wires and keep the lights in place.

You can see 3 here, one on the left of that frog, another to the right of the frog where the green lizard lies and another further to the right a couple big rocks away.

IMG_6046.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice little pond! Looks very similar to what I have. When building mine, I installed a couple of low voltage lights in the rockwork of the 2nd of 3 levels. I'd guess these are about 1 to 1-and-a-half feet deep. These shine out towards the waterfall at the deep end. Beneath the waterfall, I put a little bit larger spotlight shining upwards. It has a metal base and pretty much stays in place on the gravel bottom. All of the lights are still working after about 2-and-a-half years. On a final note, are you sure your pond is only 250 gallons? As I mentioned, it seems to be pretty close to the size of mine and I calculated mine to be about 700 gallons. Mine might be a little deeper at between 3-4 feet under the waterfall. Also, it may just be wishful thinking on my end that I have 700 gallons. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lights are an art form! Lights at to just below the surface need be in a climate where you don't get any ice. ICE CAN CRUSH SHIPS so a little spot light doesn't stand a chance While you may get away with it for a while its inevitable.
Lights at the freeze line light up across the pond. while a light point up at the surface where there is current can give the shimmer of water dancing both in and out of the water.
a light back from the falls about 8 feet can illuminate the area while i light directing under the falls pointing upward can make it look like diamonds falling.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why @GBBUDD - your artistic, poetic side is showing this morning!

We had pond lights installed - again - when we had some pond re-build work done. I love having the pond lit up, but over the years have just found them to be so unreliable. The first time they failed was completely our fault - installed too shallow - but I wish they would include that little detail on the instructions! This time they are installed by pros at the proper depth - and they guarantee them for 3 years - but I still find that they can get dislodged by an errant net. We have some of the flat waterfall lights that I love - they disc type. They just sit right where they're supposed to. But some of the spotlights just need a heavier base to hold them in place. Like this one:

81Icm8uWeiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

That little base is too small and light, they tend to lose their ability to stay pointed in the correct direction, it's too easy to snag them and pull them out of their location. We have a few of these underwater pointing to the waterfall - they look great when they're all pointing the right direction. But that requires me, in the pond, adjusting them after I managed to knock them out of place YET AGAIN. haha. I've pondered ways that I could attach that base to a flat rock to give it something weighty and substantial to hold it in place. Still working on that idea.

We have them installed externally as well and they're fine in that application. It's just underwater that they're a problem. And I will say they do not stand the test of time - we've replaced them on our pondless waterfall three times. They just don't hold up to the weather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
But some of the spotlights just need a heavier base to hold them in place. Like this one:
Aquarium epoxy works great but the bio film needs to be thoroughly scraped off. i recommend 3 watt lights for lighting up across the pond .
the puck style 1 watts for waterfalls
and the 1 watt spots like lisa showed as faint accent lights . ad bio film and the lights will be cut down in intensity

Ask a Question