having trouble connecting 1.5" hose to adapters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good point. Good lookin' out brokensword!

A union is a more solid and secure way of making a serviceable connection. Far superior than using Fernco couplings.
I found this out the hard way; ever try and disconnect your pump while it's still attached to TWO flex pvc lines over 15' long? Was a nightmare trying to hold one while twising the pump OFF the fitting. I re-did everything (including my pre-bog filters I used to use) with unions and never looked back. The sign might say flexible, but that's more a guideline than a rule with that stuff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh it's a hell of a lot more flexible and forgiving then is schedule 40 pvc pipe that's for damn sure. But will you take a 3 foot piece of 3 " And flex it so b I th end touch looking at each other hell no . But can you make a 3 foot across circle with it yes .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh it's a hell of a lot more flexible and forgiving then is schedule 40 pvc pipe that's for damn sure. But will you take a 3 foot piece of 3 " And flex it so b I th end touch looking at each other hell no . But can you make a 3 foot across circle with it yes .
Yep, and in my opinion, it will be the last "hose" you will ever have to buy.
I got tired of constantly replacing that corregated "non-kinking pond hose". It would last maybe two seasons, then spring leaks. It's not cheap either. That flex PVC may seem expensive initially, but it's well worth it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like PJ said; don't use the barbs. Your connections and hose will be vastly superior to what came with your pump. To make getting the hose off the pump easier, consider using a union after the adaptor.
I think I need to get a thinner more flexible tubing. This is so dense and hard and thick that it would be pretty hard to get to go from the filter to the waterfall. In order to do that with my previous tubing which I need to replace, I had to wind it around the base of the filter in order to come in at the right angle to attach it. This won't give me any of that bend. I only kind of understand the connector scenario. I have to see things like that to understand. I do get it that the barbs are not the ideal way to go. I think I just need a more flexible hose to start with. Maybe I can find one that is high quality but easier to bend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I need to get a thinner more flexible tubing. This is so dense and hard and thick that it would be pretty hard to get to go from the filter to the waterfall. In order to do that with my previous tubing which I need to replace, I had to wind it around the base of the filter in order to come in at the right angle to attach it. This won't give me any of that bend. I only kind of understand the connector scenario. I have to see things like that to understand. I do get it that the barbs are not the ideal way to go. I think I just need a more flexible hose to start with. Maybe I can find one that is high quality but easier to bend.
don't get anything thinner (which will obviously be more flexible) as that is the strrength of using flex pvc. What you do is get some fittings to make these curves. You'd cut and clue them in as needed. Use sweeping ells (street 90 deg ells and 45s) and not hard angle ones as this lessens your flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
don't get anything thinner (which will obviously be more flexible) as that is the strrength of using flex pvc. What you do is get some fittings to make these curves. You'd cut and clue them in as needed. Use sweeping ells (street 90 deg ells and 45s) and not hard angle ones as this lessens your flow.
This is a great suggestion. Just use regular pvc fittings to make your turns. Remember, flex PVC fits into standard PVC fittings and uses the same primer and glue. You can buy all that PVC stuff at big box home stores or your local hardware store. It's very inexpensive.

Just like brokensword stated...they make wide sweeping elbows so there's less resistance. Believe me, with the power that these pumps put out, I doubt any turn will affect it much.

Unless you know exactly want you need, you're better off buying those fittings in a store rather than online.

You will not find a better hose. The flex PVC will be the last hose you buy.

But I will mention this: some people on this site use sump pump hose and have had very good results with it. So, if you really intend on sending back the flex PVC, get the sump pump hose.

Do not buy that "non-kinking pond hose". I love Tetra products, but that hose sucks and it's not cheap. It will spring leaks and split apart at the worse possible moment. You don't want a major leak. It could empty your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PVC flex explained

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very informative videos.

I will add a few tips that I was taught when I learned to glue PVC pipe...

PVC glue sets up pretty quick and you want to make sure your fitting is positioned correctly because you won't have much time to twist it into the correct position.

This insures that your fittings are oriented correctly before gluing them together permanently.

Dry assemble the joint before using the primer or glue. Use a sharpie marker to draw a line on the fitting and pipe (orientation parallel to the pipe). When gluing the joint, just line up the sharpie mark on the fitting with the sharpie mark on the pipe and your orientation will be correct.

I was also taught that when you push the two glued pieces together, give them a quick twist to make sure the glue has spread all around.

Then hold them tight for a few seconds until the glue starts to set. If you don't hold it, it may actually back out by itself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very informative videos.

I will add a few tips that I was taught when I learned to glue PVC pipe...

PVC glue sets up pretty quick and you want to make sure your fitting is positioned correctly because you won't have much time to twist it into the correct position.

This insures that your fittings are oriented correctly before gluing them together permanently.

Dry assemble the joint before using the primer or glue. Use a sharpie marker to draw a line on the fitting and pipe (orientation parallel to the pipe). When gluing the joint, just line up the sharpie mark on the fitting with the sharpie mark on the pipe and your orientation will be correct.

I was also taught that when you push the two glued pieces together, give them a quick twist to make sure the glue has spread all around.

Then hold them tight for a few seconds until the glue starts to set. If you don't hold it, it may actually back out by itself.
Tricks the pros use but i will add limit the twist to just a 1/4 turn .
The sharpie marking is a must.
There are many types of pvc glues today so many it's even confusing for myself . Your flex pvc is no exception check with your local supplier what glue is best
As for the barb fitting they are designed to be TIGHT as they are going to be under pressure so they are deliberately tight as there is no glues. That is where some projects are left to professionals is it otside the skills of the home owner Not at all but it has it's tricks . One using a heat gun pointing into flex pipe thats in the shape of a roll will help to get the pipe straight but make no mistake it will burn the pipe too if not careful.
A hair dryer can help as well but it's going to take some time. Hot water is the best place the pipe in a pot of hot water and that non flexible or it least it may seem that way will soften up where you can easily slip in the fittings. the heat gun will also do the job and one last tip if your still having issues is some liquid hand soap. Apply a little on the fitting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea thats just a little thing i forgot to add. ahh what do you want for 400 am

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I went to Home Depot to buy PVC connectors to use with this tubing and I was a little confused about whether I can by standard connectors or if I need some for that say they are rated for pressure. Home Depot guy said regular is for drainage and pressure rated is for feed. I think that means I need pressure fittings, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi all, I went to Home Depot to buy PVC connectors to use with this tubing and I was a little confused about whether I can by standard connectors or if I need some for that say they are rated for pressure. Home Depot guy said regular is for drainage and pressure rated is for feed. I think that means I need pressure fittings, right?
Yep; schedule 40

Ask a Question