Hayward Pump

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Question, I saw an ad for a Hayward 3/4hp 110v external pond/pool pump and was wondering if anyone has any insight or experience. We are looking at an awesome pump but it is $800 and we need to shave some costs off our rebuild project! They want less than $100 for it and I am not sure if it is a great deal or horrible idea? I have heard that pool pumps use way more energy etc, not sure what the deal is.

The pond this will go with will be ~17' x 8' x 5' deep (about 5,000 gallons) and it will hook up to a pressurized bead filter, 5 jets, a Savio skimmer, bottom drain set up and a bio falls (homemade 50 gallon skippy).

All help very appreciated!:lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That pump is a high pressure pump. Its not really made for ponds.
You can use it but don't blame me for your electric bills.lolo
What pressurized filter are you going to use.
It's hard to say what pump you need without having the info on
Total pond gallons
Total dynamic head pressure
Width of spillway on waterfall (if you will have a waterfall)
Fish load
If I knew these I could help you.

Reaction score
We were thinking of getting a filter similar to the Advantage 10 Bead Filer, can't recall the brand at the moment. We haven't initialized the plans yet so don't know exact gallons or spillway width but probably about 12" wide and no stream. Filters will be just behind the waterfall area in a corner of the yard at pretty much ground level. We are guestimating 4,500-5,000 gallons with the current design.

Fish load - We currently have 2 14"+ koi, 5 8" koi, a shebuncan (sp), 3 med goldfish and 3 med red eared slider turtles. We would probably be getting a few more fish once everything is in place (would like a butterfly and some others).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For a pond that long you will need 2 bottom drains. The Advantage 10 Bead Filer would be great. I sell a lot of Advantage Filters.
You would need a 1/4 hp pump to do all of that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried to edit the above but to much time elapsed.
Here's what it should be.
You would need a (2) 1/4 hp pumps in series to do all of that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my brother-in-law dismantled his pool but still has the filter and I have heard of people using them .But to what expense and how would it work on a pond .He has the pump and filter set up and he keeps asking me if I want it .He bought them 2 years ago as they where supposed to be more energy efficient but then decide to take pool down after he got a great dane

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering if a 45 watt air pump is good for my pond . It has 4 ports and what kind air would this produce it says 4.5 psi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The sand filters lateral plumbing inside needs changed and it needs new media.

sissy said:
my brother-in-law dismantled his pool but still has the filter and I have heard of people using them .But to what expense and how would it work on a pond .He has the pump and filter set up and he keeps asking me if I want it .He bought them 2 years ago as they where supposed to be more energy efficient but then decide to take pool down after he got a great dane

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The pool pump may be energy efficient to swimming pool standards but it's still a energy hog for a pond pump.
Check the amps on the plate attached to the pump and hp.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ok since I have to go over tomorrow as him and his wife work for the post office so hard to catch them .I will check then

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What brand is it?
sissy said:
I was wondering if a 45 watt air pump is good for my pond . It has 4 ports and what kind air would this produce it says 4.5 psi

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's the ones they have on e-bay brother-in -law saw them and told me all it says is hydroponics I do not see a name .I have an air pump already but was looking for something with more power plus the one I have now is the one from petco and is for aquiriums and it has 4 ports less than 30 dollars new but is also over 3 years old so not sure how long a life it really has left .Still works fine but would like a little more air and he happened to see the one on e-bay and told me about them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I want more air but I also do not want to blow my fish clean out the water and across the yard either and not sure about the energy to run it or if the cost is right .plus how to get parts and where they say they sell but at what cost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
you need a high volume diaphragm pump designed for low-pressure applications such as hakko, alita or medo pumps
If your pond is 12 x 8 the pump you have is way to small.

Ask a Question