Hello From England

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a small kidney shaped pond with 12 gold fish and am planning on expanding the size of the pond this year.
I hope this forum will be useful to ask advice etc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and yep we love to give our 2 cents worth and it is fun watching some one else work .But the joy after is worth all the pain

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome48.gif
stu74

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! How big is your pond and what kinds of plans have you made so far for your expansion? We really do like to see lots of pictures :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
My pond is only small.I cant remember exactly but off the top of my head i would guess it is around 4.5 ft long x 3ft wide at the widest part and about 10inches at the narrowest.It is less than 2 ft deep at its deepest.My plan is to make the pond slightly bigger so it can home atleast 4 koi aswell as my 12 goldfish.I have been succesful so far in the 5 years i have had my goldfish but i am a total begginer with koi.
I will start a new thread soon asking for advice on the size of pond etc that i will need to keep koi.

PS TurtleMommy i will get some pictures of my fish and pond on here soon.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep in mind, with koi you need lots of water, they get large sometimes over 2 feet, like great filtration (they poop a lot) and need room and water to stay healthy. I stuck with gf and shubunkins.

Reaction score
Thanks Becky.
Addy1 i am wanting to extend my pond as much as i possibly can but i am limited for space.Hopefully i can make it big enough otherwise like you say i will stick with goldfish.
The weather was nice when i got up this morning but as soon as i went out to start measuring up and mark out the outline of where to dig the pond, the heavens opened.Typical british summer.At a guess i think the maximum length of the pond will be 9 ft by 4 and a half ft at its widest point.I am not sure if this will be big enough for koi.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
9X4.5X 4 feet deep will get you about 1,200 gallons, not optimal for koi, but you could keep a couple, just make sure that you have someone to give or sell them to if they get too big. I'd probably stick with only one or two also instead of 4.

Reaction score
The pond at the moment is only about 22" deep at the deepest point so I am going to dig it 4 foot.
Your calculation of 1200 gallons i presume is worked out as a 9 x 4.5 rectangle shaped pond.My pond is going to be a sort of kidney shape with a narrow bit of probably less than 2 ft wide because of the limited space in my garden.I will have to try and calculate as accurate as i can how many gallons of water will be in the pond but its not looking like i can make it big enough for koi.
Thanks for your input guys.It is much apreciated.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Oh yes, I went with a rectangle that size, you could go even deeper to get the volume you need to keep a koi or two. Like I said, you could have even more, if you accept the fact that once they get bigger, you may have to give them up.

I actually had 6 Koi in my 1200 gallon pond last year, the biggest one was only like 10 inches long at that point, and I already had plans for an expansion, so it was fine to have that many in there while they were still small.

Reaction score
I dont really want to go much deeper than 4 ft i dont think my back could take all the digging.
As for finding a home for any koi that get to big i could ask a guy i know if he would be willing to take my koi if they get to big.He has a few big ponds on his land.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
That would work, if you can get yourself around 1000 gallons, and keep feeding to just a few times per week, you could easily keep 2 koi for a few years before they would get too big for the pond. In, fact, at 1000 gallons, with the proper filtration, you may be able to keep 2 full size koi, definitely one for sure.

Ask a Question