Hello from Middle Georgia!

Reaction score
I've been lurking on this forum for awhile, and finally decided to join :) I'm relatively new to the whole pond thing...as is evident on my first attempt to build a pond. Yikes. In-ground, PVC liner, 8' by 6' and 3' deep. Built all wrong, and everytime it rained, my pond turned into a muddy mess, and the water was chocolate milk. There is something to be said for ensuring your not building a pond at the lowest part of your yard. :grumble: Oh well, live and learn. So, I've removed all the Koi from the pond, placed them in a temporary 200 gallon preform (poor babies) and starting over.

I'm building a raised pond this time. My 4 year old is absolutely fascinated by the Koi, and has almost fallen in a couple times, so that seals the deal for me. I also have a 11month old who is starting to walk, so raised bed it is. My plan is to be 2' above ground, 2' below, and square at 8' by 8'. Oh yeah, and I'm going with a 45mil EPDM liner this time. :razz:

Loving all the ideas and suggestions everyone has...and I'm sure there will be some questions from me!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thwelcomewagon.gif
SaraG
You may want to go much bigger unless you are only going to have very few koi as they get huge and need lots of room to swim.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, SaraG!!!
Agree, go as big as you have room and money for the liner! And, in my opinion, a rounded pond is easier to place the liner than a square one, or at least I think it is. Maybe a square one you can fold the corners easier. Bottom line is to make it as big and deep as you can.
As far as 2' above ground, etc. Remember, even if your pond is on the lowest part of your yard, you only need to have sides probably 6" higher than the area around it for the water to go away and not drain into the pond, unless you get 2' of standing water in that area on a heavy downpour. There are lots of ways to keep the water out. When you are digging, use the heaviest dirt in the bottom (by me, it's the heaviest anyhow, and clay type) to put around the top edge of your pond to build it up. Or you can use blocks or stones to build up the sides. Just be sure it is packed well and the stones are laid in well packed dirt so they don't sink and settle.
When I built my ponds, I used a level to see from one side to the other and one end to the other what the "fall" was, and then went with the highest edge, and added about 4-6" for height to keep water from running in, and made the lower edge that much higher. You can also use the drop in the yard for a pretty stream or waterfall area, etc. Lots of options!
Glad you're enjoying the forum. I've learned so much on here, just enjoy reading on it almost daily, sometimes twice a day.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but have already figured out some things. And as far as the little ones go, a fence can go a long way in providing security, as well as raised sides. If you're creative, you could even make the fence blend in with your pond decor! Be sure to post pictures, questions, or even random thoughts here, as you plan and build: these guys (and gals) are a great source of help & advice!

Ask a Question