Hello from NC!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to the Forum. I've had my water garden pond since July 2022. I love it! However, it has been a learning process. It was a surprise gift when the pond was started and we've had to learn some stuff the hard way. I now have an external filter with submerged pump, I have a waterfall and aeration balls. We have tiny comet goldfish now as well as snails. I have several pitcher plants, I believe star grass? (have forgotten the name), pickerel weeds and one water lily. Everything is looking beautiful and I'm making plans to overwinter the plants soon as we are expecting our first freeze this week. I am always trying to learn good ways to maintain and improve my pond - it is a favorite area in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and howdy from TN. Sounds like you've got the ponding bug alrighty :) Pitcher plants too -- I got some this year and I love them! We love seeing pictures here, so how about sharing a few. I'd love to see your pitchers :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello frog wave.gif
and welcome @Frog pond Queen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
PICTURES ARE WORTH A THOUSAND words, truer words have never been spoken. i do hate this computer. The recomendation for pitchers is to cut them down a inch from the base. but i have also left them alone all winter as no one cuts them down in nature . the idea is to cut off the rotting bugs inside the tubes. but i feel its probably more man thinking its gross. again as i have left them alone a couple years a i didn't loose any. The biggest thing with pitchers is never use treated water chlorine kills them. Star grass is fine left alone in NC

Welcome to the ADDICTION

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

My rule is what survives over winter is welcome to live here. I baby nothing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep me too, if it makes it on it's own over winter then good, if not bye bye! I was so surprised yesterday to see one lone tall strand of Hornwort looking tall and beautiful on my pond bottom. I thought it had all died and gone to pond Heaven. Now I hope it grows and produces a nice big family! I think it was a couple years ago you sent me some @addy1

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck, It does make a nice forest.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Please post pictures for us!

Where do you live? (Duh, I just saw the your title — NC) Agree with @addy1 — if it survives (plants), it stays. I don’t do anything special for mine. We are having a freeze here (NWLA) tonight. Not worried about the fish, either. The water cools slower than does the air, so they’ll have plenty of time to adjust.

Ask a Question