New Pond Syndrone and Hello!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

As this looks like one of the most helpful forums out there, I thought I'd give it a go!

Current set up is

8500ltr pond (new build)

Oase screenmatic 60000 set

Fish in for 3.5 weeks (goldfish and shebunkins from a previous pond. 18 in total. Average size 4 inches)

Feeding once a day

A large lily and several underwater oxygenators (pond weed etc)

Chemistry showed elevated ammonia within the first week with zero nitrites and nitrates.

Over the last week I've noticed a sudden elevation in Nitrite (currently 2.0mg/ltr, ammonia near zero and nitrates about 25ppm)

Fish are are showing zero signs of stress and are swimming and feeding as normal.

The nitrites are concerning me at the current levels and have done 2 x 10% water changes in the last 5 days.

Is this classic new pond syndrome and do I ride it out?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are describing the nitrogen cycle. It is what is referred to as cycling. You can search "nitrogen cycle in a pond"and learn about that process. It is ongoing, 24/7, 365 days a year.

You can protect the fish while the cycle gets established by binding the ammonia and nitrite with Prime. That protection will last only 48 hours so it needs to be dosed every other day when used for that purpose.

Welcome and good luck with your pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are describing the nitrogen cycle. It is what is referred to as cycling. You can search "nitrogen cycle in a pond"and learn about that process. It is ongoing, 24/7, 365 days a year.

You can protect the fish while the cycle gets established by binding the ammonia and nitrite with Prime. That protection will last only 48 hours so it needs to be dosed every other day when used for that purpose.

Thank you for your reply. I did some heavy research on the N cycle when I upgraded the pond but didn't realise nitrate this high would occur. I've heard of prime before so may look at that. Thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Presumably prime doesn't stop the nitrite conversion to nitrate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No. It doesn't interfere with the cycling process. It will still show up in the water tests since it is still there. But it will be bound and unavailable to do any harm to the fish.

Water changes help, too, but the cycle needs the ammonia and nitrite to produce the bacteria it is creating to deal with those things. Changing a large percentage of the water and trying to keep the nitrite at zero while the pond is cycling will only delay the process since that is starving the bacteria. Your 10% water changes are fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No. It doesn't interfere with the cycling process. It will still show up in the water tests since it is still there. But it will be bound and unavailable to do any harm to the fish.

Water changes help, too, but the cycle needs the ammonia and nitrite to produce the bacteria it is creating to deal with those things. Changing a large percentage of the water and trying to keep the nitrite at zero while the pond is cycling will only delay the process since that is starving the bacteria. Your 10% water changes are fine.
Thank you. Is this the product you mean?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821_214748_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821_214748_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 7

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Your pond is doing exactly what’s it’s supposed to be doing. We usually refer to “new pond syndrome” when the ammonia has gotten a little out of hand…..and the water turns pea soup green. But that, too is normal. It’s all part of the process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one I'm familiar with is made by Seachem and is simply called Prime. Not sure if that is the same. But if it will do the same thing, I suppose it would be fine.

A produce called Safe, also made by Seachem is a powdered and more concentrated version of Prime. It's less expensive to use for larger ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Resurrecting an old thread rather than posting a new. How fast does Prime/Safe work? and does it dechlorinate as well? I watch the youtube videos (and a few years ago the Tanked episodes on the discovery channel) and they always plunk the fish in as soon as the build is done, rather than waiting for the tank or pond to cycle and then adding fish slowly. I get that having the fish generates additional waste and helps cycle faster, but it seems like it would hurt the fish or make them sick to be in water with a lot of chlorine and/or the be in there while the water cycles. and I imagine it would take at least a few hours, if not a few days for the Prime or Safe to mix into the water completely. So assuming that you follow directions, do any of you know how long it takes to work so the water is fish safe? I guess I could just look up the product label, but that doesn't tell me much about real-world experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Prime does dechlorinate. That is probably it's primary use.

A fishless cycle is always the safest for the fish. You just need a source of pure ammonia to get the bacteria started. Lots of info online about that.

I've always thought that Prime starts to act immediately when dosed. Don't know for a fact, but there is information about Prime on the Seachem website.

Also, if you have other questions that are not answered there, you can call them. They are very responsive and helpful and willing to answer any questions you have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Resurrecting an old thread rather than posting a new. How fast does Prime/Safe work? and does it dechlorinate as well? I watch the youtube videos (and a few years ago the Tanked episodes on the discovery channel) and they always plunk the fish in as soon as the build is done, rather than waiting for the tank or pond to cycle and then adding fish slowly. I get that having the fish generates additional waste and helps cycle faster, but it seems like it would hurt the fish or make them sick to be in water with a lot of chlorine and/or the be in there while the water cycles. and I imagine it would take at least a few hours, if not a few days for the Prime or Safe to mix into the water completely. So assuming that you follow directions, do any of you know how long it takes to work so the water is fish safe? I guess I could just look up the product label, but that doesn't tell me much about real-world experience.
I only used a dechlorinator, I believe it works instantly. Chlorine will evaporate on its own in a few days. As far as waiting to put fish in or not, I had posted that question back in September. I had just filled my pond back then, initially I was not going to put any fish in the pond and wait until the Spring. There were opinions on both sides of the debate. I ended up putting 5 Shubunkins in, they were small, about 4-5 inches. They are supposed to be hardy. they have adapted well so far. I was a little lucky in that the Fall was warmer than usual, we did not have a freeze until last week, so they had longer to get acclimated to the Pond. I added them because I wanted to start the cycle sooner. Would I add expensive fish right off the bat, probably not. But I dont think I have harmed these goldfish. It did get cold last week so I think they slowed down. Got tannins in the pond last week from the leaves so the water is very dark and cannot see the fish at the moment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tanked is not like our ponds. the water they use today is completely engineered. All the trace elements, minerals, and bacteria is in the pre made water that they fill the tanks with. While they do have a successful show on tv , their TANKS are everything my tanks and ponds are not . They HAVE FAKE PLANTS AND CORALS that they place in the tanks , well the last i watched one of their shows any ways.
their nitrogen cycle is out of a bottle from the git go. But if it was i and dumping in thousands of dollars in salt water fish i would wait until the tank had a chance to establish it's self not just look pretty.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tanked is not like our ponds. the water they use today is completely engineered. All the trace elements, minerals, and bacteria is in the pre made water that they fill the tanks with. While they do have a successful show on tv , their TANKS are everything my tanks and ponds are not . They HAVE FAKE PLANTS AND CORALS that they place in the tanks , well the last i watched one of their shows any ways.
their nitrogen cycle is out of a bottle from the git go. But if it was i and dumping in thousands of dollars in salt water fish i would wait until the tank had a chance to establish it's self not just look pretty.
I didn't realize a lot of it was fake decor. That figures though. I would want the tank to cycle too before putting in fish.

Ask a Question