Hello from Oklahoma

Reaction score
I live in Norman, OK. When I purchased my house I 2004, it had two ponds already. One i estimate is about 3,000 gallons and 13' x 26'. There other is about 300 gallons. Each has a separate upper pool fed by the pump, which overflows into a stream that runs into the main pond.

Fish are in the large pond only. About ten koi plus goldfish.

I'm long overdue joining this forum, and I've been finally prompted to do so by unfortunate circumstances. Two days ago, a heron cleaned out nearly all of my goldfish, over a dozen in all. Fortunately, the larger koi - some over 18" - survived. Among responsive measures I intend to take are substantially increasing the plant coverage over the pond, preferably lilies. So, for starters, I'm looking for guidance about the best choice of lilies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn sorry about your fish, fishing line etc helps strung around the pond.

oh and Welcome! glad you joined.

another-fish-welcome.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
BabyDragon2.gif
Sooner Dragon
Lucky you getting ponds already made and two for the price of one :lol:
Glad you finally joined the forum :regular_waving_emot

Reaction score
Welcome sooner dragon I'm from Moore Ok. You will love it here everybody is so helpfull! Go Sooners!

Reaction score
welcome from Kingston, OK
If you can find growing Lotus, they will cover a lot of area in a hurry and the koi don't seem to bother them too much. However, they can be very aggressive

Reaction score
Welcome from Altus. I've got several different types of lilies. Being in Altus, I have to balance between shade to keep them from sunburning and sun to get them to bloom. The cheap generic lilies from Home Depot/Lowes grow well. I've also got a Sir Galahad (night bloomer), a Mrs. Martin Randig, a Red Flare (night bloomer), a Sunrise and a couple others. You can buy from a few of the people on the forum or from tricker.com (they tend to be a little expensive), or from Home Depot/Lowes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
ComputerGuy said:
Welcome from Altus. I've got several different types of lilies. Being in Altus, I have to balance between shade to keep them from sunburning and sun to get them to bloom. The cheap generic lilies from Home Depot/Lowes grow well. I've also got a Sir Galahad (night bloomer), a Mrs. Martin Randig, a Red Flare (night bloomer), a Sunrise and a couple others. You can buy from a few of the people on the forum or from tricker.com (they tend to be a little expensive), or from Home Depot/Lowes.

Computerguy, can you post a pic of the Sir Galahad?( Isn't that a white?) I've never seen it before and I really like night bloomers. I have Emily Hutchings, Red Flare, Texas shell pink, Ceylon Pink, and Juno (white) As for Trinker, Beware, I have some friends that collect water lilies on a much larger scale. Trinker is not well known for properly identifying their lilys. You may get something similar, and it might be a healthy plant but it might not be what you ordered at all. Pondmega store is not as bad about that but they will substitute another lily if they are out without notifying you before sending. I've learned to go with getting young plants from other hobbist because you can get what your looking at for a fraction of the cost of these nurseries.

Reaction score
Yes, it's a white and carries real high above the water. I've only had it for about 3 weeks. It's not bloomed yet. I can post foliage photo tonight or tomorrow if you'd like. I verified my Sir Galahad by foliage (photo) with a friend that sells on Ebay. I love the night bloomers because I'm normally up and gone before regular hardy's are up and come home pretty late.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I actually found some pics of it on the internet, NICE LILY! I was the same way when I started with them, I rarely got to enjoy the day bloomers and found haarstick first. That was the first night bloomer and I got hooked on them from there. I like them when several open at the same time and it's a still night the whole yard smells of their fragrance. Plus the fact that they are open late in the afternoon until mid morning.

Ask a Question