Hello from Oklahoma

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Emily Hutchings and Haarstick are VERY similar, In fact very hard to tell apart. I tend to like Emily hutchings better as it produces stronger babies and a little more prolific blooming with two or three blooms at one time not being to uncommon. Haarstick Rarely has more than two at a time and may be a week or two between blooms.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Welcome from Northeast Oklahoma! Seems there are quite a few from OK on here. Been so hot lately night blooming lilies sound good, since It's 80 degrees at Midnight now....
:sun_smiley:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know the names, but these have all done wonderfully. Bloom constantly, and multiple blooms at one time. Most sent to me by a friend in florida, but they are hardies. Have a few tropicals just getting ready to bloom.

I knew nothing about growing them, just put osmocote 1/4 cup in the bottom of an cheap oil pan, kitty litter clay on top, stuck the tuber in and waited. Once they started blooming I go into the pond to groom and add a lily tab per pan off and on.

You will do fine with them sooner, I do not have koi so have no issues in trying to protect the lilies from the fish.

This may be myla

DSC02022.jpg

the yellow is Charlene Stern maybe

DSC01948.jpg

don't know, but what a bloomer, constant and lots

DSC01925.jpg

Georgia peach

DSC01827.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/

I got this link a few weeks ago, for identifying and growing tips, great link to check out. It's broken down into categories, night blooming, tropical day bloomers, hardies, Lotus etc. Thought I would pass it on. BEWARE! you could seriously get hooked on water lilys by looking to long!:bowdown::(:lol:

Reaction score
Addy, your lilies are gorgeous! That second pic of your pond is EXACTLY what I'm trying to accomplish.

I've noted several recommendations of using clay kitty litter, perhaps mixed with sand, as the potting material. In my naivete, I potted my existing lilies in top soil, on the assumption that would be most favorable. How big of a mistake was that? Should I consider re-potting them in clay kitty litter and sand?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The main issue would be the top soil fouling your pond water. Our soil sucks, rocks some clay, potting soil you should never use, it floats.

I used clay, the friend that sent me the tubers said that is how she planted hers, and searches on the net said the same. I put 1/4 cup of osmocote in the bottom of the pan, filled with the cheap wally world kitty litter, pure clay, stuck the tuber in and put in pond. I have not had lilies before so it was guess work for me.

Now I just wade out into the pond, clip off old leaves, old flowers, and stick in a plant tab off and on. The group of pink ones towards the center of the pond I got off of craigs list last year, right at fall, those overwintered then started growing this spring. All other ones were new tubers this year.

Most of them small starts.

The liles cover half the pond, I could push the pink ones deeper, but they would be hard to keep groomed........I would need my snorkel gear.

View attachment 7342

Attachments

• DSC01894.jpg
    DSC01894.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 260

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/

I got this link a few weeks ago, for identifying and growing tips, great link to check out. It's broken down into categories, night blooming, tropical day bloomers, hardies, Lotus etc. Thought I would pass it on. BEWARE! you could seriously get hooked on water lilys by looking to long!:lol::nananananana::lol:

I have seen that link, guess I need to take a look and see if I can figure out what I have, I know a few of them. The gal that sent them to me, may be able to tell me which is which. She put her koi into the lily pond to fix the koi pond, so the lilies ended up all over the place in pieces. Lose track of names for them when you have tubers scattered everywhere.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Addy your are really getting a nice good cover of the lilies on top of the pond and it's so pretty to see.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I hope your heron does not come back but seems once they find a source of food they do ,sad to say .You may have to put a net over your pond to protect them

Ask a Question