Hello from Scotland!

Reaction score
Shard MacD said:
Hi Jordan

Yes, in a way. Take out 20-30%, replace that with new water, then let it filter for a while 5-7 days. If all looks good, fish etc. do it again. Slow but sure. Also rinse your filter media, depending on the media. For instance, I have 2 filters, 1 has like foam disks, the other one has 'pads' which collect all kinds of stuff. They're not really foam though, ?. and both filters have bio-balls that I do not rinse. It looked like your filter had compartments holding some kind of media. I hope others chime in. This has helped me at times, also my one filter does have a UV light, great help last year and this year. Crossing my fingers....
Ah, thanks very much. I'll give that a little try tomorrow. And I think I have 2 filters... The black one with the 2 types of filter media and the other is the blue box at the other side of the pond with plants in it. Im sure I read the plants act as a sort or filter, is that correct?

Reaction score
As I was showing my husband your pictures I realized that second filter. Think it might be call a 'BOG' type that you dad set up, (not sure). I am not at all familiar with the 'bog', however, since I have been on this forum I read more and more about them and how well they work. Do not know how to clean those up, but as far as I know they are a great plus to your system. I have been wondering how I could incorporate one into my pond?
This is a good thing to have, just can not be of much help with it. Still, you just keep at it and again I hope someone who knows about a bog will chime in. Can't wait to watch you pond progress.........

Reaction score
Ahhh, I've heard of a bog, though never read about them yet. I'm going to have a closer look at it tomorrow because I thought it was just water passing through and I guessed the plants acted as a sort or media. I'm also thinking of making a waterfall with the water stream thats coming from the bog, its just trying to think how it will work and how to put it together due to the fact that my pond is above land level, although saying that, the side that the bog is on is not to far off because of the mud pile, so could be in luck. Ah we'll see tomorrow. And thanks again for the help and advice, much appreciated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Jordan, I just looked at your showcase thread, then found your introduction. Sorry I haven't read sooner and sorry to hear about your parents.
So lets talk pond forum help. Showcase thread is great as it's a way you can follow your project and others can see what's going on without all the clutter. I recommend everyone start one. But I would also recommend posting pics where members can post to you as well. This thread is fine just need to get your help where your pictures are so everyone can follow along. Check in daily and keep up with what you have going on to what is being talked about in the thread. The more information you give the more others can help give ideas or helping advise. remember, It's the Internet, everything that is told to you must be true on the internet? LOL seriously, NOT! You have to make the final discussion as what to do and what not to do. The more you learn the more you understand why it's important to move slow and with a plan. But very seldom is someone here going to straight out turn you in the wrong direction, Same things just work better in some ponds than others.
Right off I must say, the bog that was removed can still be used, don't throw it away. You may very well want to use it later on. Get us some more general information, how long how wide how deep is your pond. Lets get the correct volume of water. next do you test your water? , if so what are those readings. If Not, I highly suggest looking into getting a test kit and learning the basics of keeping water. this is probably the most important thing you can learn when it comes to keeping Koi, or fish in a outdoor pond. Next we need to make sure that the water is ok for the fish, green is not bad, but bad water can be clear. So finding out the shape of the water and the condition of the fish should be first step. second is getting as much out of your filter you have now. you don't want to remove anything that is filtering right now as it is holding it's own. removing them before having something better in place can cause water problems. Water changes can help water that is not in the best of shape, but next thing you need to know is what is the source water and how does it compare the the pond. They will be some difference. Do you know how many fish are in the pond? There is a LOT of potential in your pond makeover. Some thought was put into it during building and it could be made something really nice without huge costs. I can't help but ask so many questions. So much I would need to know before starting a project like that myself. But I think I could have a lot of fun with that one! Good luck! this should be a fun journey for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Welcome Jordan,

I have a very good friend in Paisley. :)

Green water ... excess nutrients ... uneaten fish food, fish waste, yard run-off (re: fertilizer). Those are the biggest contributors to big algae growth. Get a good liquid test kit ( not strips ) and honestly, I'm a 3 year pond noob that took a lot of advice and suggestions from the good people here. You're in a good place with these folks :).

Seek out a member called "Waterbug". He's very up on understanding algae. As others have said, a good in-line UV light should help you a lot, then it's just a matter of getting rid of excess nutrients.

So hello to you from Canada, and good luck :)

Paul

Ask a Question