Hello from Skyelar

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I joined the forum a few days ago and posted this https://www.gardenpondforum.com/moving-fish-leaking-pond-moving-advice-tips-t7420.html
but forgot to introduce myself.
I am new to keeping fish although my father had them when I was growing up indoor and outdoor. I have ended up with an unknown number of koi and some other type that I am uncertain of. All different ages and sizes, two of them are over 25 years old, four of them are around 14 years old and then a selection of those fishes young all different ages.
The pond they had been kept in was damaged and leaking, had no filter or pump and had basically been left to do its own thing. I have found it interesting that when the pond was well kept with a pump and filter, the fish being monitored and fed fish food that the fish didnt breed, but since it has been left many fish have been born and from somebody who doesnt know much about fish, they look healthy and like they are thriving. Maybe it is just lucky! I moved the fish the other day to a new temporary home which is much much smaller but I am moving homes this year and they would of been getting moved soon anyway. Will be building a new pond at the new place and wanting to build a natural pond with clay bottom etc and if its safe to be able to get in and swim with the fish(in the warmer weather!)
When I was younger I always saw fish as being seperate and doing there own thing, even being territorial. But from watching them they are really intriguing me as appear to be very affectionate and protective of each other. Just finding it all very interesting, I guess when I was younger the fish would of been establishing their hierarchy etc but now there are only a couple of breeding couples left they are more relaxed.
I look forward to learning from others on here :lol: I took some photos of some of the fish as we lifted them out of the nets into the new container so will post those later.
Skyelar

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
smileywelcome687.gif

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Skyelar, great introduction! Hope you find all the information your looking for and then some more that you weren't. I just recently joined myself and just when you think you know about it all, You find your only scratching the surface of knowledge available. Good luck and yes we all like to see pics!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Skyelar, Welcome to the forum. I would bet the fish always produced eggs and fry, but because the pond was so clean there was no where to hide and they all got eaten up!

Ask a Question