Hello from the Mendocino Coast

Phantom

Phantom
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently working on a group of staircased ponds that will be part of my Permaculture Food Forest. The master pond is being constructed at the highest point on my property so as to also feed into a gravity fed watering system. I discovered this wonderful forum through a fellow member: koiguy 1969 when watching one of his videos on YouTube.
In regards to the master pond's filtration, I've decided to build one of the 'Rubbermade' stocktank "Skippy" filters.
I haven't decided what type of skimmer to put in yet as I'm currently researching this.
Any input from fellow forum members is greatly appreciated...thankyou in advance. chambers.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome Phantom
One thing to keep in mind when building a stair case type series of ponds where one pond feeds into the next one is that they work by pumping the water out of the lowest pond to overfill the upper pond (ponds). You really want to consider having your lowest pond holding the largest volume of water for it to work best, otherwise what will happen if you have a large upper pond and a small lower pond is when you turn on your pumps you'll suck your lower pond dry before the large upper pond starts to overflow. Once the flow gets going you can add extra water to compensate, but the next time your pumps gets turned off again then all that excess water will overflow out of your lowest pond and you'll have to refill the extra water again when the pump starts again.
There are ways to compensate for this, say by having an extra deep disappearing waterfall pit at the bottom, but if your upper pond is very large you may need a very large pit.

Phantom

Phantom
Reaction score
Thankyou for the wonderful info. I've also dug out three other pond locations as my property staircases down nicely and these will also
serve to store rain water...especially since I can easily capture 1000 - 3000 gallons from each decent sized storm. The excess overflow
from the lowest pond will fan out into a cover plant/compost producing meadow and will then flow into a forested creek which empties into
the ocean to magically feed back into the rain cycle...a true morpho genesis as I dance with nature...http://www.daelart.com/mvpg3.htm

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice link you posted w/ your cool artwork Phantom!

D-A it is fun to mess w/ the gif's and once in awhile I find some that fit the occasion :razz:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome-Daisy-Bug.gif
to our group!
Start a construction thread, if you want to. We love to offer our "expert" advice.

Ask a Question