Hello from the UK new pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
Hello am Samantha from the uk. Am a newbie when it comes to ponds so any important information or advice would be great. As you can see this is what my pond looks like at the moment. I've started off small then will keep expanding. I would love to eventually have my pond in the ground but I think working my way up would be a lot easier, I don't want to jump straight into the deep end ;). My partner built my raised pond for me to give it a try, what can I say I love having one. It's so enjoyable to have. I've been wanting a pond for a while now. I know a few people who have them so I have been given a bit of advice etc.
I have 5 small Koi fish at the moment soon as they start growing bigger I will be building another pond maybe this time have it in the ground like I want to do. Has anyone got any advice for having a pond in the ground please? I would greatly appreciate it (y)

Thank you
Samantha :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Samantha, very sweet pond :) It's good you're thinking ahead to a larger pond, as koi grow quickly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Samantha, very sweet pond :) It's good you're thinking ahead to a larger pond, as koi grow quickly!

Thank you Tula :) yeah I know they can grow quite quick. Am planning what it will look like, just looking at a few ideas and deciding where I would put the bigger pond :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Samantha!
My first piece of advice would be to take the koi back and exchange them for goldfish.
Planning and building an in ground pond can take some time and I can see a situation where you run into excess nutrient problems with the koi and the end result will be you becoming frustrated with nuisance algae growth.
Nice looking above ground pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your pond is adorable! It is so fun, isn't it?

I'm going to toss some cold water on you, too, though and third the suggestion to return the koi. They are going to outgrow your pond in a matter of a few months - are you prepared to build that fast? We got a koi as a fingerling four years ago. She was so tiny we didn't see her for a whole year after we put her in the pond. That fish is now just as big as the biggest fish in our pond at 18 inches. Your current pond is suited for a couple of goldfish - they would be very happy to call your pond home! And when you do build your new pond, they will be ready for the move!

Welcome to the GPF - stick around and you'll see we are all friendly and love to help!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Cute pond! How many gallons, and what kind of filtration do you have? I have to agree with the others, though. You're going to have water quality issues faster than you can compensate. Goldfish would be a good alternative since you're just starting out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Samantha. Welcome. I like your pond. I'm not going to beat a dead (horse) fish to death but it's recommended you have at least 1000 gallons for the first koi and hundreds of gallons of additional water for every additional fish. I have been ponding almost 10 years with only goldfish and have been quite happy with them. My current pond is 2500 gallons and has only goldfish and no koi as I don't like to have to work a lot on my pond or spend money I don't have to.

Ask a Question