Hello from the UK new pond

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Samantha 93, May 10, 2017.

1. Samantha 93

Samantha 93

image.jpeg Hello am Samantha from the uk. Am a newbie when it comes to ponds so any important information or advice would be great. As you can see this is what my pond looks like at the moment. I've started off small then will keep expanding. I would love to eventually have my pond in the ground but I think working my way up would be a lot easier, I don't want to jump straight into the deep end ;). My partner built my raised pond for me to give it a try, what can I say I love having one. It's so enjoyable to have. I've been wanting a pond for a while now. I know a few people who have them so I have been given a bit of advice etc.
    I have 5 small Koi fish at the moment soon as they start growing bigger I will be building another pond maybe this time have it in the ground like I want to do. Has anyone got any advice for having a pond in the ground please? I would greatly appreciate it (y)

Thank you
    Samantha :)

Samantha 93, May 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Samantha 93

Tula

Welcome Samantha, very sweet pond :) It's good you're thinking ahead to a larger pond, as koi grow quickly!

Tula, May 10, 2017
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Samantha 93

Samantha 93

Thank you Tula :) yeah I know they can grow quite quick. Am planning what it will look like, just looking at a few ideas and deciding where I would put the bigger pond :)

Samantha 93, May 10, 2017
    Tula likes this.
  4. Samantha 93

MitchM

Welcome Samantha!
    My first piece of advice would be to take the koi back and exchange them for goldfish.
    Planning and building an in ground pond can take some time and I can see a situation where you run into excess nutrient problems with the koi and the end result will be you becoming frustrated with nuisance algae growth.
    Nice looking above ground pond!

MitchM, May 10, 2017
    CometKeith and Mmathis like this.
  5. Samantha 93

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

peter hillman, May 11, 2017
  6. Samantha 93

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice pond! I would take the koi back until you can build your ground pond. They grow fast.

addy1, May 11, 2017
    CometKeith and Mmathis like this.
  7. Samantha 93

Lisak1

Your pond is adorable! It is so fun, isn't it?

I'm going to toss some cold water on you, too, though and third the suggestion to return the koi. They are going to outgrow your pond in a matter of a few months - are you prepared to build that fast? We got a koi as a fingerling four years ago. She was so tiny we didn't see her for a whole year after we put her in the pond. That fish is now just as big as the biggest fish in our pond at 18 inches. Your current pond is suited for a couple of goldfish - they would be very happy to call your pond home! And when you do build your new pond, they will be ready for the move!

Welcome to the GPF - stick around and you'll see we are all friendly and love to help!

Lisak1, May 11, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  8. Samantha 93

Mmathis TurtleMommy

Hello and welcome!

Cute pond! How many gallons, and what kind of filtration do you have? I have to agree with the others, though. You're going to have water quality issues faster than you can compensate. Goldfish would be a good alternative since you're just starting out.

Mmathis, May 11, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  9. Samantha 93

CometKeith

Hi Samantha. Welcome. I like your pond. I'm not going to beat a dead (horse) fish to death but it's recommended you have at least 1000 gallons for the first koi and hundreds of gallons of additional water for every additional fish. I have been ponding almost 10 years with only goldfish and have been quite happy with them. My current pond is 2500 gallons and has only goldfish and no koi as I don't like to have to work a lot on my pond or spend money I don't have to.

CometKeith, May 11, 2017
  10. Samantha 93

MoonShadows The Jam Man

15e3a85db23c7072eaaba533acb.gif
    What a nice looking raised pond. Your partner did an exceptional job.

MoonShadows, May 11, 2017
    Mmathis likes this.
  11. Samantha 93

Becky Administrator

Hello and welcome! Cute pond :)

Becky, May 11, 2017
    MoonShadows likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question