Hello - New pond advice :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just joined because looking at building new pond...It's going to be around 4x3m and 1m deep at deepest - unless I get any advice that it needs to be deeper.. I think it'll be around 12000 litres...Would like to hear any recommendations for the liner, pump, filter system etc - I'm in the UK and never had a pond myself before..Thanks :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

How cold is it where you are? We are cold here, off and on, pond freezes now and then. Mine is 5 feet deep, yours at 1 meter would be 3.2 feet, which would probably be fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our group!

How cold is it where you are? We are cold here, off and on, pond freezes now and then. Mine is 5 feet deep, yours at 1 meter would be 3.2 feet, which would probably be fine.

Not too cold - it will freeze in the winter from time to time, but I think 1m will be ok...I'm just trying to do my homework at the moment to understand costs as well as best equipment to get,...Thanks..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Mark66 !

3 feet deep is definitely be deep enough, even when it freezes. Where I am (Chicago IL USA) many ponds are built 2 feet deep and the fish overwinter in the pond just fine.

There's a wealth of great information on this forum - read and ask questions. Lots of helpful pond people - even on this side of the "big pond"!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes - Koi I think with maybe some orfe - it will hopefully be big enough to take them....The more I look at the space, the bigger the pond gets in my mind !!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mark66 The best advice you will get from anyone here: build as big as you can.....because you’re always going to want to go bigger in the future! You might want to search through this forum for some specific topics to focus on — and then you will know more to be able to ask questions about those things.

Pumps and filters are more personal preference, and their choice will depend more on what type of pond you want to have, fish load, etc.

Decide on the size for your pond as this will dictate how much liner you need. One thing you don’t want to skimp on is your liner! Most of us recommend an EPDM rubber liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. Lots of really well informed people on here, a few brits as well, to help.

Ask a Question